How do I get the chapter names in the header?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
CanAussie
Propeller Head

How do I get the chapter names in the header?

Post by CanAussie »

G'day,

Probably a basic question, but how do I change the header so that it shows the chapter names?

Cheers,

CanAussie
Flare 4.2
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: How do I get the chapter names in the header?

Post by SteveS »

The assumption is the only heading 1 in each topic is the chapter name.

You then apply the heading variable (Insert -> Variable) to your masterpage and that displays until another heading 1 is encountered.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

As far as I rembember you are working with PageLayouts, isn't it?
In that case, open the PageLayout and in the HeaderFrame insert a variable. The variable you insert has to be from the variable set 'Heading'. There you can choose one of the levels.

But ...... you have to assign that PageLayout to the particular chapter in your TOC: Printed Output :arrow: Chapter Break :arrow: Start a new chapter document, etc.

I hope this helps you.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
CanAussie
Propeller Head

Post by CanAussie »

Thank you for your replies,

I haven't had my morning coffee yet, so the fog in my head isn't sure I can do this:

(Page Left)

{variable}---------------------------------Small graphic

(Page Right)

Small graphic----------------------------------{variable}

(The dotted line should be solid)

Does that make sense and is it easy to do?

CanAussie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are you asking if it's easy to put the variable in the footer or is it easy to put a solid line in the footer?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
CanAussie
Propeller Head

Post by CanAussie »

G'day and thank you Lisa,

Left page - I am looking to put a left aligned variable followed by a long solid line up to the middle of a right aligned small round graphic

Right page - Opposite of the above.

CanAussie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Hmmm. I'd create a three column, single row table in the footer of the Left page in the page layout. If you have margin and padding values specified for the <td> tag in your main topic stylesheet then I'd create a custom <td> class and set it to 0 margin and 0 padding and set its vertical alignment to top. Apply that custom class to the three cells of the table in the footer.

Then I'd create three custom <p> classes (p.footerLeft, p.footerCenter, p.footerRight). Set the p.footerLeft to have text-align left and set p.footerRight to have text-align right. No margin or padding values on those classes. Set whatever font and font size you want.

Set p.footerCenter to have a margin-top of 4pt (depending on how large you're setting the font for the left and right classes). Give it a top border and set it to however you want the line to appear. Give it margin-left and margin-right values if you don't want the line to butt up against the variables.

In the table, press enter in all three cells to give them <p> tags. I think it adds two sets of <p> tags in each cell, so delete the second <p> tag in each cell. Apply the p.footerLeft class to the paragraph in the first cell and insert the variable, apply the p.footerCenter class to the paragraph tag in the center cell but leave the non-breaking space in the cell (no other text), and apply the p.footerRight class to the paragraph in the last cell and insert the variable.

I think that'll give you what you're looking for. You may have to adjust the margin-top on the p.footerCenter class to get the positioning correct.

Copy that entire table as it is, and paste it into the footer frame in the Right page in the page layout. Swap the variables around in the second table.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
CanAussie
Propeller Head

Post by CanAussie »

Thank you Lisa,

I very much apprecciate your time.

Cheers,

CanAussie