Tables Lose Formatting When Content Changes

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
CathyT
Propeller Head

Tables Lose Formatting When Content Changes

Post by CathyT »

When I change the content of a table and reflow occurs, my table loses all its formatting. If there are any other tables in the topic, they ALSO lose all their formatting (in a display of solidarity, I guess).

Formatting returns to all tables when I reapply formats to one of them. But since my tables have a class and specific size applied to them, this means that I'm resetting three settings each time I need to change a table, which is fairly often. Is it the end of the world? No. But I don't think it should be happening either.

I haven't seen anyone reporting a similar problem anywhere in the forums, so I don't know if it's only me or if it's one of those bugs that people accept and live with.

Does anyone else see this or have an idea why it would happen? Should I be reporting this as a bug?

Thanks in advance.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Tables Lose Formatting When Content Changes

Post by LTinker68 »

If you're using a table stylesheet then you're stuck with it because it's dynamically recreating the table and applying the table stylesheet at the same time, so your inline styles are always being blown out. At least the td, th (thead), and tr styles -- the character or paragraph level styles might be fine.

I think your only option is to create your own styles in the main topic stylesheet and apply those styles to the appropriate cells in the table. Which can be a real PITA if you add a new row or column in the middle of the table, but you do have greater control of the styles and special cases where you want a cell to not follow the pattern.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
CathyT
Propeller Head

Post by CathyT »

Thanks Lisa. I guess I need to decide which will cause us more grief in the long run. At least I know what I'm up against.

I really appreciate your quick response.
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

I have the same problem with my tables: As soon as I edit the content (i.e. delete something) all formatting is gone.
I am using a table style for cell formatting (borders, fonts etc.) and an additional table class for setting the width and a left margin.

Very strange behaviour, in my opinion. And the best is - if you look at the source code of the topic, there is NO difference at all. You just have to apply the table style and the table class again, and then all tables are fine. I really wish, MadCap could make the combination of table stylesheets and table classes a bit more intuitive and transparent...