Links from WebHelp to external files not working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Links from WebHelp to external files not working

Post by mattf »

Hi all,
What would cause external links to not open? I can link to websites, but not to .htm, .txt or .rtf files. Is there a security setting that's been added recently that I don't know about, or some other reason anyone can think of?

I think years ago in Flare I linked to an external .html file several directories up and over from the installed WebHelp, but this doesn't seem to want to work now.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
kashby
Propeller Head

Re: Links from WebHelp to external files not working

Post by kashby »

I'm running into something similar at the moment. The only thing that seems to work is to hold the Ctrl key down until the linked file downloads or opens completely. That has worked for most users so far, but it's hardly an elegant, permanent solution. "Hi, welcome to my help system. Some links may require that you hold down the Ctrl key forever, some won't...every link's an adventure...bwuhaahaahaa."

We think it's an issue with the version of Java running on the machine, but I've not seen any evidence to support it yet. We didn't have any of these problems back in 3.x--perhaps it's time to roll back a few versions and deal with the old bugs we knew and loved.