Images exploded in Word output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Images exploded in Word output

Post by todd.richardson »

Hello,

When we output to print, we always use the PDF format. All of our resources for print output (Page Layouts, etc.) are specific to that format. We recently tried to output a document to Word (someone requested a specification in that format), and found that all of the images in the output were enormous (examples below). Output to Word was done ad hoc, and no new resources were created to facilitate it, aside from a new target.

Examples:

Any idea why this would happen? I'm guessing there are intricacies to Word output that we don't yet understand, as we use that format so seldom.

Thanks.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Images exploded in Word output

Post by forfear »

Hi Todd,
what is the medium you set your Word target to? is it print?

The explosion of images (what a title !) is caused due to
- images were saved with a different DPI set. Most times its 96 dpi. but sometimes its saves with a dpi of 150 or 300 depending on the application settings used in the screen capture tool.
DPI has more to do with print mediums that online viewing.

Select the images that have explosions, (CTRL+ ALT + B) and explicitly set the max width for the images.

i assume this is not occurring for all the images, only the ones you showed
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by todd.richardson »

Yes, the medium is set to Print. This occurs for all images in the document. I haven't checked the DPI - that may be the culprit.

Thanks for the reply.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You could set the max-width property on the img tag in the print medium to 5in or 6in or whatever. Don't set the max-width and the max-height, just set the max-width; the height will adjust accordingly.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

I am not very good typing with a small notebook.
The number of errors I am making in each of my posts these days is ridiculous. Apologies on the immense amount of typos. For a technical writer these are fundamental no-nos.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder