Seeking workaround re List of Figures/Tables

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Seeking workaround re List of Figures/Tables

Post by Nita Beck »

Setup: Flare V4.2.1, Vista, targets PDF and WebHelp

I have created two styles for figure titles and two styles for table titles.
p.FigureTitle
p.FigureTitle_FullWidth
p.TableTitle
p.TableTitle_FullWidth

For PDF output, the page layout allows for a one-inch a "scholar's margin" at the left, and most of my various p. styles are set to have a left margin of 0in. (This was in lieu of not having the page layout control that left margin but having most p. styles have a 1.0in left margin; hope that makes sense.)

Most figures and tables fit within the "text column", but I have a few that need to run the full width of the page. The only difference between the "_FullWidth" styles and their corresponding style is that the "_FullWidth" styles have a -1.0in left margin (so they are outdented...).

I thought I was so clever having these "_FullWidth" styles, until I realized that a List-Of Proxy can have only one tag class that it'll use to build its list. There is no way to configure the List-Of Proxy to grab more than one tag class. For example, the List-Of Proxy for figures can pick up either p.FigureTitle OR p.FigureTitle_FullWidth, but not both. Same for the tables. Obviously, this is not what I want.

I cannot use inline formatting to give a title set to the p.FigureTitle/p.TableTitle a left margin of -1.0in, as then, in the WebHelp version of the manual, where there is no "scholar's margin," the title ends up bleeding off the left edge of the browser window. Obviously, this is also not what I want.

Can anyone think of a workaround? I loath the thought of changing my page layouts and the stylesheet that drives the PDF.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Seeking workaround re List of Figures/Tables

Post by LTinker68 »

I think you just need to change your setup slightly. Instead of having the margins specified in the paragraph styles, use just one paragraph style per caption type (figure and table), and put the paragraph inside one of two custom DIVs. One DIV has a margin or padding set so that the paragraph inside it is positioned for the normal caption type. The second DIV has a margin or padding set so that the paragraph inside it is positioned for the full width caption type. So the styles you would have would be something like:

p.FigureTitle
p.TableTitle
div.captionNorm
div.captionWide

That way your list-of proxies should work, depending on which paragraph class you specified for the list-of proxy, of course.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Seeking workaround re List of Figures/Tables

Post by Nita Beck »

Oh, very elegant! Mucho thx.
Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!