Font confusion

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
sarrants
Propeller Head

Font confusion

Post by sarrants »

Our print design has been using Bembo, Adobe Garamond Pro, Trade Gothic, and Helvetica Neue since 2006. When I try to use them within Flare4.2.1, they won't work. They don't show up in the Font list. I've found out that Flare doesn't support open Type (or doesn't support it well, depending on what you read--btw-- article OUTPN1003F in the Knowledge Base uses Open Type as an example, which confuses me even more).

So...are these the only solutions:
  • Use True Type only (this would be a significant expense to repurchase TT versions of the fonts)
    Use Open Type, but output to Framemaker or Word and fix them use there
    ???
What are other people doing?
The things that we plan and measure are the things that get done.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Font confusion

Post by forfear »

the only reason i can think of is for the team to try to keep Flare backward compatible with users on Win2k.

otherwise i have a feeling flare would actually have no problem supporting Open Type since its supported in newer versions of the .NET framework.

As much as i believe in this, sarrants do post a request for this with the Enhancement req....There have been sporadic requests for this before in the past. and i believe there is interest on this, even by madcap...so please make yourself heard.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Font confusion

Post by KevinDAmery »

Windows typically has a Garamond font in there somewhere, although it isn't the Adobe version. You could try it and see if it's acceptable (I have no idea if the glyphs in Windows's version are the same as Adobe's or not). Not sure about the others (although I would expect that on a Mac you shouldn't have trouble getting a TT version of Helvetica - haven't seen one for Windows though).

This situation is basically a legacy of Flare starting out as an online help editor and gradually adding print support. For online help, you need to support fonts that are web-friendly, which traditionally has meant truetype. I would agree with forfear, though, that adding your voice to those who have already added a request for opentype support would be a good idea.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare