Customizing the .Net viewer...

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
rkiskan
Propeller Head

Customizing the .Net viewer...

Post by rkiskan »

Now onto v4.2 and this still remains aquestion ... is there any way at all to modify the appearance of the .Net viewer . I especially want to change the Window title, because the customers shouldn't see MadCap Flare 4.2 as the title?

While the skin dialog says that it affects .Net it just never does nayhting like that - the accordians that appear are always the same etc.?

thanks
Robin
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Customizing the .Net viewer...

Post by Richard Ferrell »

It doesn't appear that Madcap currently allows you to modifiy the dot net viewer, the more feature requests they get, the better the chance they will do it.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
alien
Propeller Head

Post by alien »

why not just like adobe, that allows you to put the title and then next to it, adobe reader...Flare Viewer...something like that
alien
Propeller Head

Post by alien »

is there a way to dictate what goes on the accordian buttons and what doesn't
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Madcap Software doesn't allow you to customize the Dot Net viewer, the more people who request it, the better chance they will do it.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
daphna
Propeller Head

Post by daphna »

We really need to be able to get rid of the MadCap logos, etc. The powers that be are giving me a lot of pressure on this and we'll probably have to move to WebHelp, which will be a pain on the development side as they've already set everything up for .NET.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Have you considered the Flare SDK? I think that allows you to "embed" the DotNet Help in your application, which would bypass the logos. Although I'm not positive on that, but you could ask MadCap Support for clarification.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
daphna
Propeller Head

Post by daphna »

We have the help embedded, but the Window Caption on the .NET help viewer, which identifies MadCap, cannot be changed.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

If you haven't already reported this as a bug, please do so!

I've had the same frustration with trying to modify the help viewer, but thankfully, the developers on my team did something that makes our application's name display in the title bar instead of the MadCap advert.

We really need to be able to control what displays on the help viewer, so I hope everyone who uses .net help logs bugs about this. Thanks and good luck!
adlangx
Propeller Head

Post by adlangx »

There is now an overload in the HelpViewerEmbeddedClient class that allows you to pass in an string and an icon into the constructor. The string and icon that you pass in are then used in the help form header in place of the Madcap icon and "My Help" string.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

adlangx wrote:There is now an overload in the HelpViewerEmbeddedClient class that allows you to pass in an string and an icon into the constructor. The string and icon that you pass in are then used in the help form header in place of the Madcap icon and "My Help" string.
Please post how you do this. Thanks!
adlangx
Propeller Head

Post by adlangx »

alex wrote:
adlangx wrote:There is now an overload in the HelpViewerEmbeddedClient class that allows you to pass in an string and an icon into the constructor. The string and icon that you pass in are then used in the help form header in place of the Madcap icon and "My Help" string.
Please post how you do this. Thanks!
-Add the Icon file that you wish to use into the Resources area of your project. (Here is a quick description of how to do it http://visualbasic.about.com/od/usingvb ... 090117.htm )

-Then make your call to create the viewer like this:

HelpViewerEmbeddedClient(<HelpTitleString>, My.Resources.<YourResourceName>)
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Great - thanks!