CSH does not work using URL method

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Ericam
Propeller Head

CSH does not work using URL method

Post by Ericam »

My application team wants to hook up the help using only the url method. (Don't get me started on why they won't use the JavaScript method!)

Firstly, they(the programmer) told me it should work locally. E.G. I should be able to type the url in and have the CSH topic pull up. I don't think you can test the CSH locally, can you?

Secondly, why would the url method not work? I have no clue. I am not a programmer. They are using an Apache server.

Per Flare's help documentation, the url we are using is the following:
http://my.website.com/MyWebHelp_CSH.htm#MyTopic

I tried testing it locally, and if I type in the path with the topic name it does not go to it either.
Note: I do not have an alias or header file created because according to the Flare documentation, those are optional when using the url method. Is that correct?

So in this example, my help file that launches the entire system is:
Application_workspace_CSH.htm
However, if I launch it locally, the _CSH does not show. If I type in the unique topic file name after it, it will not pull up that file. It just stays on the Application Workspace screen. Any ideas????????????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: CSH does not work using URL method

Post by LTinker68 »

You're missing the .htm at the end of the file name. It should be http://my.website.com/MyWebHelp_CSH.htm#MyTopic.htm. Was that a typo or did you leave the .htm from the URL? If so, that's probably the problem, because it thinks MyTopic is a folder name so it's looking for a file called default.htm or index.htm, whatever the Apache server is set to assume the default index page of that folder would be.

And FYI, the path will change after the page is loaded, so if you go to a page in the help, your developers can't just copy-and-paste that URL into the program for the CSH call. For instance, go to http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CS ... ources.htm -- note how the URL after you're at the page looks significantly different from the URL I wrote.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Ericam
Propeller Head

Post by Ericam »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I did try Mytopic.htm too. I will have my developer try that on the server. Do you think it is an Apache thing?

However, back to the running the Context-sensitive help locally. The developer thinks that once in the help system, I can change the url and go to the Context sensitive page that way. It doesn't work.

For example, I clicked Case Home. However, the url stays the same. file:///C:/Data/CMIPSII%20help/Staging%20Destination/Application_workspace.htm#CSHID=undefined.
The developer thinks instead of CSHID=undefined, the Case_home.htm should appear. That is one thing. (I am pretty shure it is not supposed to change. Like you said, urls change.)

And then if we are on another page, and go up to the url and type in Case_home.htm at end of the url, he thinks it should automatically go to that topic because we changed the url.

Is the Flare system supposed to work that way?

Thanks, I want to be absolutely sure I understand you correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I think you need the alias file and header file. At least the alias file (which will automatically create the header file). I don't know how CSH is supposed to know what topic you want if you don't use an alias file.

Plus, you will not need to use the entire file name. You will just use the alias (which can be very handy if topic names change or whatever going forward).
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Ericam wrote:I did try Mytopic.htm too. I will have my developer try that on the server. Do you think it is an Apache thing?
Do you actually have a topic whose filename is MyTopic.htm? Because if you don't then it won't find the file to load. That MyTopic.htm is just a placeholder in the examples -- you're supposed to replace it with the actual filename of one of your topics.

BTW, from what I remember, Apache servers require you to match case on filenames, so if it's named MyTopic.htm and you type Mytopic.htm, then it won't work. Although I don't know if that's the same for all Apache servers or if that's a configuration setting on the server.
Ericam wrote:For example, I clicked Case Home. However, the url stays the same. file:///C:/Data/CMIPSII%20help/Staging%20Destination/Application_workspace.htm#CSHID=undefined.
The developer thinks instead of CSHID=undefined, the Case_home.htm should appear. That is one thing. (I am pretty shure it is not supposed to change. Like you said, urls change.)
First, I recommend not using spaces in filenames. When you do, you get that %20 which is equivalent to the space key, and some browsers don't react well to the %20. Either get rid of the spaces entirely (e.g., CMIPSIIhelp) or replace them with underscores (e.g., Staging_Destination).

Second, WebHelp runs in a frameset. Once you're in the help, it doesn't matter what topic you click on, the URL will always display the same URL. When you click on a different topic, you're not reloading the entire frameset -- you're only replacing the lower right frame of the frameset which contains the topic. Oh, and if you have it set to sync the TOC, then the navigation pane on the left will reload, too. But it doesn't actually reload the entire help, which is why the URL doesn't change after you've arrived (other than the initial change from default_CSH.htm to default_Left.htm, for example).

Third, why are you trying to change the URL once you're in the help. Why aren't you just clicking the topic directly?
Ericam wrote:And then if we are on another page, and go up to the url and type in Case_home.htm at end of the url, he thinks it should automatically go to that topic because we changed the url.
Your developer probably doesn't realize the help is running in a frameset. So again, the URL won't change once you're in the help frameset.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

doc_guy wrote:I think you need the alias file and header file. At least the alias file (which will automatically create the header file). I don't know how CSH is supposed to know what topic you want if you don't use an alias file.

Plus, you will not need to use the entire file name. You will just use the alias (which can be very handy if topic names change or whatever going forward).
You do not need the alias and header files if you make CSH calls using the relative path and file name of the topic.
Ericam
Propeller Head

Post by Ericam »

Thanks everyone. THings are definitely more clear!!! My programmer just doesn't understand the mechanics of the help frameset, etc. I will forward all your comments. The gist is:

.htm must be used after each topic name to call my topics (Mytopic is just a place holder)
You cannot run the CSH help locally by changing the url because it is the frameset. (basically what Lisa wrote in her post)

Let's hope my programmer figures it out!!! But everyone's posts really helped!! Thankyou.
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Madcap Guru »

its always best to have at least one topic with a Header, that way flare will create the _CSH file in the output.
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Madcap Guru wrote:its always best to have at least one topic with a Header, that way flare will create the _CSH file in the output.
Now that is a very useful hint! Sounds like a bug to me...