Crossref adding space for some topic headings

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
KT_Mtjoy
Propeller Head

Crossref adding space for some topic headings

Post by KT_Mtjoy »

Hi there,
I have bulleted list and used cross-references to link the bullet headings to topics. Sometimes however, these xref items have an extra space added in front of the text, so that not all of the items in the bullet list line up vertically. Any suggestions?
Thanks so much,
Katie :)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Crossref adding space for some topic headings

Post by LTinker68 »

Check the topic that you're xref to -- most likely there's an empty space at the beginning of the text you're linking to. It might be hard to see if it's a single space, so it might be easier to open the topic in the Internal Text Editor to see if there's a space between the opening <h1> tag, for example, and the following text. So if the heading is <h1> This is your heading</h1>, change it to <h1>This is your heading</h1>. Save that modified topic, then go back to the first topic and update the xrefs (Tools > Updated Cross References) so that they pick up the modified title.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KT_Mtjoy
Propeller Head

Post by KT_Mtjoy »

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the suggestion, I checked the text editor but there doesn't appear to be a space before the heading title. For example, in my bulleted list, the xref item "Event Select Toolbar" has a space in front of it while the item "Sensor Edit Toolbar" doesn't. Pasted below is the text for these two topic headings from the text editor:

item with a space:
<h3 MadCap:autonum=" 0.0.1 ">
<MadCap:keyword term="#######product:Select Event" MadCap:conditions="Default.PrintOnly"> </MadCap:keyword>
<MadCap:keyword term="Event Select Toolbar" MadCap:conditions="Default.ScreenOnly" />Event Select Toolbar</h3>

item without a space:
<h3 MadCap:autonum=" 0.0.1 ">
<MadCap:keyword term="Sensor Edit Toolbar" MadCap:conditions="Default.ScreenOnly" />Sensor Edit Toolbar</h3>

The only difference is the addition of a second print-only keyword for the topic title where a space appears in the list, and a &#160 which I found from one of your other posts is the code for a space! Although, this may be the problem in this example, there are other examples where a space is added in a bulleted list but there is no &#160 code added in the text:

item with a space:
<h4 MadCap:autonum=" 0.0.0.1 ">
<MadCap:keyword term="Event Processors:GS Location;GS Location" MadCap:conditions="Default.PrintOnly" />
<MadCap:keyword term="GS Location" MadCap:conditions="Default.ScreenOnly" />GS Location</h4>

I will check to see if there are other cases where a &#160 code in the text, thanks for the help :) I am still pretty new to flare and this is the first time i've used the text editor, its pretty handy :)
Thanks,
Katie :)
KT_Mtjoy
Propeller Head

Post by KT_Mtjoy »

Ah, nevermind, i think that the addition of the &#160 code is the problem, as the example I provided in the previous post is now fine.
Thanks so much Lisa for the help,
Katie