How to control Window size for context-sensitive Help topics

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
kmiz
Propeller Head

How to control Window size for context-sensitive Help topics

Post by kmiz »

Our WebHelp system uses URL calls to create context-sensitive Help. I am wondering how to control the size of the window that a CSH topic opens in.

Is there a parameter in the skin file (flskn) file that controls this?

Thanks for your help.
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How to control Window size for context-sensitive Help topics

Post by bobmoon »

kmiz wrote:Our WebHelp system uses URL calls to create context-sensitive Help. I am wondering how to control the size of the window that a CSH topic opens in.

Is there a parameter in the skin file (flskn) file that controls this?
You can set the size of the browser window in the Skin properties using the Size tab. Clear the Use Browser Default Size checkbox and you can specify the window size and position.

However, we didn't like the results using this method. The skin properties are implemented by Javascript that runs once you display the help page, so the browser is opened at the default size and screen position (usually based on the size and position when the user closed it). Then the Javascript kicks in and repositions and resizes the window. The result is that the browser looks like it's dancing all over the screen as your help is being displayed.

We elected to control the browser size and position in the application. I would think your developers should be able to specify the properties of the browser window when they open it.

Bob
kmiz
Propeller Head

Re: How to control Window size for context-sensitive Help topics

Post by kmiz »

Thanks, Bob. That info is helpful (we don't want any dancing in the initial Help display!) I will talk to our developers about this now that I know there is no easy solution using Flare settings.
ccfisher76
Propeller Head

Re: How to control Window size for context-sensitive Help to

Post by ccfisher76 »

Hi, I have the same need. My developers seem to think they can fit the help in an iframe. That sounds bad, though. Surely by now (2020) we have a link somewhere on how to do that for a developer, yes? Thanks for any information you can guide me to.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How to control Window size for context-sensitive Help to

Post by NorthEast »

ccfisher76 wrote:Hi, I have the same need. My developers seem to think they can fit the help in an iframe. That sounds bad, though. Surely by now (2020) we have a link somewhere on how to do that for a developer, yes? Thanks for any information you can guide me to.
This thread is talking about displaying the help (via CSH) in a standalone browser window, and setting the window size.

If your devs are talking about an iframe, then presumably you want the help to be displayed in a frame that's inside another web page, and not displayed as a standalone web page.

So it's probably worth explaining what you're trying to do.

Back then (11 years ago), the WebHelp skin had a Size tab to set the browser window size, and that tab is still in the current Tripane skin (but not Side Nav or Top Nav).
Note that this size only works if you make CSH calls using the "Javascript method". (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... lopers.htm)

That doesn't apply to Top Nav or Side Nav skins though. But you easily open browser windows using javascript window.open, and set browser position, width, etc. This isn't hard for a web dev, or even a javascript novice.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... indow/open