Unchecked "Generate resized... images", but it still does it

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
beagley
Sr. Propeller Head

Unchecked "Generate resized... images", but it still does it

Post by beagley »

In the Advanced tab of my WebHelp Target, I have UNCHECKED the "Generate resized copies of scaled images".

Yet, it still does it.

Any other places in Flare that could be triggering that?

The image is being scaled to 850 pixels... probably because in my stylesheet I've got max-width set to 850px. But I want the browser, on the fly, to shrink that image. (without CSS, I'd do it with the "width" element in an img tag). I don't want Flare gunking my image and making a shrunken copy.

Is there a bug with that toggle box, or is Flare somehow taking what I've got in my stylesheet and deciding to resize images?

-d

p.s.
(For the curious, the reason I don't want Flare resizing my images is because Flare (along with most simple image editors) dumps transparencies when it resizes images.)
Lisa.Sawyer
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Unchecked "Generate resized... images", but it still does it

Post by Lisa.Sawyer »

Bumping this because this seems to be a bug that still hasn't been fixed. I'm hoping they will give us a status on the fix soon.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

beagley wrote:The image is being scaled to 850 pixels... probably because in my stylesheet I've got max-width set to 850px. But I want the browser, on the fly, to shrink that image. (without CSS, I'd do it with the "width" element in an img tag). I don't want Flare gunking my image and making a shrunken copy.
I don't get it. You don't want it to be larger than 850px so you set a max-width attribute, but when it does it, you don't want it do that??? The max-width is the same as the width attribute with one exception -- it won't shrink the image if it's below 850px, only if it's above 850px. So if your image is 900px wide, then it's doing exactly what you told it to do in the stylesheet. If it's only 800px wide, then it'll display at 800px wide.

Note that if the image is less than 850px wide but is too tall for the browser window, then the browser may automatically resize the graphic itself. I think newer browsers will automatically shrink images if they're too big, although I'm not positive. So it could be the size is fine, but your image is too tall.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Lisa.Sawyer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Lisa.Sawyer »

I think the issue is that if you have asked Flare to not resize the image, it shouldn't. That is the point of not checking the box.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Lisa.Sawyer wrote:I think the issue is that if you have asked Flare to not resize the image, it shouldn't. That is the point of not checking the box.
The point of the checkbox is whether or not it'll create a new version of an image if you've resized that image. It doesn't determine whether or not Flare will actually resize an image -- that's up to you, whether you manually resize an image or have it done automatically via the stylesheet. So if that checkbox is off but the stylesheet has a max-width property set and an image exceeds that width, then the image will be resized on-the-fly when the topic is loaded. If the checkbox is off and there is no sizing being done in the stylesheet, then the images won't be resized -- they'll appear in the topic at the actual size specified (depending on dpi value of the image).

If the checkbox is off and you find a new version of an image file with the dimensions as part of the file name, then yes, that's a bug because if it's off then it shouldn't create a new version of the image (except for PDF and a couple of other outputs). Make sure you delete the output folder before building, though, to make sure it's not creating the new files after the option is disabled.

Lisa
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

This is an old thread but since I am seeing the same behavior I will resurrect it.

In my target, "Generate resized copies of scaled images" is UNCHECKED. Yet when I build (WebHelp) and inspect the output folder, I have a bunch of extra image files for the resized versions. I ran Clean Project and tried again and they're still there. I checked the Flare help to see if I am misunderstanding the feature, and based on my reading, I should not have these files if this setting is unchecked.

It seems like a bug but I wanted to throw this out there to see if I'm not understanding something. (And if it is a bug then I'm a little discouraged since it seems to have lingered since 2009.) I'm on v8.1.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I've never had that option enabled so I'm not exactly sure what it does and when, but I wonder if when you build the target, it creates the resized image, puts it in the images folder, then changes the reference in the topic to that file. Not in the output, but in the source files. If that's the case, then you're still seeing resized images because you haven't deleted them and changed the references back to the original image file. If the option works as I've described, then disabling it doesn't automatically reverse everything that was done before.

I think that option is enabled by default, so if you've ever built the target with it enabled and you had resized images, then you'll still have those files.

Easiest way to check is to look at the image tag in the topic -- is it pointing to the original file or a resized file that it created?

Lisa
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

Nope -- my source files are fine (only the original un-resized files in my Image folder; topics reference those files). I submitted a bug to MadCap, they haven't responded yet.
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

FWIW Madcap has confirmed this is a bug (56342).
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Unchecked "Generate resized... images", but it still doe

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Bumping this (again) because the bug is still present in Flare 11. Is it fixed in Flare 12? I can't see it in the Release Notes and given MadCap's track record when it comes to bug-fixing, I'm not holding my breath.
djohnson
Propeller Head

Post by djohnson »

Not fixed in 12.0.5991.25330.

I just ran into this, too: I have a large image that I want the browser to scale, and have it be no larger than half the width/height of the original, so I can simulate HiDPI or "Retina" graphics. I don't have to have this, but I like the hi-res image (and it looks nicer when zoomed).

When I set the max-width to 150px, I get an image "logo_150x34.png" that is referenced in the output code, and both "logo.png" and "logo_150x34.png" are placed in the output folder. So Flare is taking it upon itself to resize my graphic to the max size that I want displayed. I can go into the generated code and edit out the resized image, or I can omit the max-width in the CSS and insert it post-build, but these aren't great options.
Don Johnson
Flare 2020r3, Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on a 16" MacBook Pro [as of March 2021]
ericjohnson7
Propeller Head

Post by ericjohnson7 »

This continues to be an issue in Flare 12 WebHelp. We are using a responsive css "max-width: 80%" and Flare is duplicating our images, renaming them with a dimension and renaming the img html to match the new names.

If this is a feature, it's overkill and needs to have an OFF button. :(

"Generate resized... images" remains unchecked.
ricat03
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ricat03 »

Still seems to be an issue in 2018. Our solution was to have our main CSS not resize for web output. Then have a CSS for post-Flare overrides that has the max-width & max-height we wanted. The HTML5 layout includes a link to that post-Flare overrides CSS. A post-build script then copies the overrides CSS from our network drive into the content/resources/stylesheets folder in the output folder. A hack, for sure, but it works for us until the bug is fixed.
zithir
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by zithir »

This issue is still persistent, in our case we were using a GIF which became static after regeneration by Flare, which was obviously undesired. We have discovered that this behavior is only present when the resizing of image is done via a CSS files. In such case, the image is regenerated regardless of whether the "Generate resized... images" is checked or not. However when resizing the image locally using the "style" attribute in html, it behaves as it should - when the box is checked, it generates a new image, but when it is unchecked the original is used. This solution worked for us since we have encountered this issue only in this particular situation.
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

I ran into this today, and actually found that in my specific case, the images weren't keeping their aspect ratio for some reason.

I did find a workaround. I moved the CSS setting that was resizing my image into a separate stylesheet (which I already have for other Flare bugs wherein my CSS makes the editor wig out). I call this stylesheet via my master page, so it takes precedence over the project stylesheet but doesn't seem to cause Flare to do weird crap during the target build. To get this to work right, you have allow local stylesheets either at the project or target level and explicitly assign your master page in the target.

I've also done something similar with PDF outputs in the past, but the workaround is a little different. You cannot call a stylesheet in the page layouts, so I set a stylesheet at the target and that stylesheet's entire job is to pull in the other stylesheets, starting with the main one and then below it pulling in the one containing the CSS that Flare cannot handle.
Dan Lemke of Thomson Reuters