Distributing and Installing the the Dot Net Viewer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
jamesp
Jr. Propeller Head

Distributing and Installing the the Dot Net Viewer

Post by jamesp »

We have decided to use the Dot Net Help viewer for our application. Our developers have incorporated distirbution of the viewer in our installation, but he emailed me with a problem. The text of which is below. Does anyone have any answers to this?

"I have incorporated their .MSM into the V6.2.1 client installer and it puts a shortcut on the desktop for the MadCap HelpViewer V5. This is not too bad, but if you click on this shortcut, it prompts you for the language you want to use and then prompts you to install the compact version of SQL Server. We don’t want the prompts to happen, and probably don’t even want a shortcut placed on the desktop. I need to know how to suppress these from occurring."

Any feedback would be very helpful.

Thank you-

James P.
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Distributing and Installing the the Dot Net Viewer

Post by Robotman »

James our company has a few problems with the current dotnet viewer (similar to what you encountered). I would recommend reading some of the other posts about the issues that people are finding. I don't think there are many solutions yet.

We are very keen to move to dotnet but issues like yours stops us so we stick with the trusty chm and pdf files for the time being until these issues have been resolved.
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2020 / Windows 10 64-Bit
Screaming Symphony
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Distributing and Installing the the Dot Net Viewer

Post by RamonS »

Well, the shortcut is easily removed from the desktop, because the name of the shortcut stays the same and the desktop is in the user account folder. What may still happen is that the prompts show up when first using the help.