bonehead layout question

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
bbernat117
Propeller Head

bonehead layout question

Post by bbernat117 »

I have a document. it has a single chapter, about 30 pages. It has a title sheet. I've created a topic with a TOC proxy. I can create a PDF that is content complete.

However, I want to do these things and I'm missing the point entirely as to how to do them:

o Use a title page with no page numbers or header/footer. I create a type "title" page in the layout omits those proxies, but when I generate target flare doesn't apply the title page to the title automatically and I can't figure out what I need to do to apply it to the first page in the output.

o Have the TOC start numbering at i and count up in roman numerals. Do I need to make it a chapter for this to happen? How do I do that? How do I have these TOC pages (with roman numbers) appear? A section? How do I get the special pages to apply here but not the main chapeter which should count up 1, 2, 3 in latin numbers?

Ty,
-billb
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: bonehead layout question

Post by LTinker68 »

bbernat117 wrote:o Use a title page with no page numbers or header/footer. I create a type "title" page in the layout omits those proxies, but when I generate target flare doesn't apply the title page to the title automatically and I can't figure out what I need to do to apply it to the first page in the output.
First, you have to create a topic that will supply the content for the body frame of the title page. Second, you add that topic to the TOC Editor as the first item in the TOC Editor. Third, you modify the Properties page for that TOC entry, tell it to start a new chapter on that entry, and specify the page layout to use, and to use the title page of that page layout. Fourth, the next topic (or third topic, whatever) that contains your normal content, you need to modify its Properties screen to start on a new chapter, specify the page layout you're using for your normal content, specify the type of page to use first in that page layout. All other topics after that topic will use the same page layout, unless you specify differently. Or unless you're using left/right pages in your page layout and you need to specify new chapters so it knows where to start on the right page for the chapter.
bbernat117 wrote:o Have the TOC start numbering at i and count up in roman numerals. Do I need to make it a chapter for this to happen? How do I do that? How do I have these TOC pages (with roman numbers) appear? A section? How do I get the special pages to apply here but not the main chapeter which should count up 1, 2, 3 in latin numbers?
When you're doing the steps above, there is an option in the TOC entry's Properties screen to specify the page numbering format to use and what number to start at (even if you're using roman numerals, you tell it to start at 1, which it translates as i). However, make sure you add a footer frame to your title page layout and insert the page number variable into that footer. You'll need to do the same to the page(s) in the page layout you use for all other content.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
bbernat117
Propeller Head

Re: bonehead layout question

Post by bbernat117 »

Thanks. That's just what I'm looking for. Will give this a try. Much appreciated. -billb