Limit TOC node expand function to icon only

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
laurenm
Propeller Head

Limit TOC node expand function to icon only

Post by laurenm »

I have a user request to make the WebHelp TOC behave more like Microsoft products where the expand/collapse function works by clicking the book icon but does NOT work when clicking the book's TOC entry text itself.

There's some logic to this complaint: if I click on a TOC entry to view a topic then click on a book-level entry to view the parent topic, the menu collapses. To navigate back to the original child topic, I have to click the book-level entry again to expand the TOC.

Does anyone know how to make this adjustment so that the icon expand/collapse can work independently of the entry text links? Is this a JavaScript edit in the output files?

Thanks.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Limit TOC node expand function to icon only

Post by NorthEast »

I know that HTML Help and some of Microsoft's help behave like that, they all tend to use + / - icons next to the link text.

I had a quick look at the WebHelp TOC output, and the book icon and the text are inside the same link tag; so the book isn't a separate clickable area to the link text. Obviously you'd need them to be independent links, as you still want to be able to close the book.
laurenm
Propeller Head

Post by laurenm »

Hey Dave: Were you looking at \content\SkinSupport\MadCapAll.js ? I'm curious where to point our developers if we're going to have to make any post-build adjustments. Thanks
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I was looking at it using the Firebug utility for Firefox ; it has a very handy inspect mode.
But how that code is generated is well above my head!