Can I Create TM database in Lingo from old FrameMaker files?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Can I Create TM database in Lingo from old FrameMaker files?

Post by amatsumoto »

We're using Flare 4.2 and are considering purchasing Lingo 3.0. We have numerous large documents that were translated in-house several years ago when we were using FrameMaker. To maintain the original translation, we send updated FrameMaker files to the group that does the translation and they perform a comparison to see what they need to translate for the new release. So far, the work has only been for print copy, never for help.

We are completing our conversion of the master language files from FrameMaker to Flare. I would like to know if there is a way we can salvage the translation that has already been done, and in particular, can we generate a TM database that we can use going forward?. I'm not sure that there is a TM database from what was done originally in FrameMaker. It seems that we could import the translated documents into Flare as a new project, but that would mean reformatting topics that we are already reformatting in the master language project. That is a lot of topics! Is there a better - and faster - way to do it? If we have the master language project and the translated version imported into a Flare project (even though it wasn't translated in Flare/Lingo), will we have success in "aligning" the projects to create a TM database?

Thanks!
Abby
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Can I Create TM database in Lingo from old FrameMaker files?

Post by forfear »

amatsumoto wrote: We are completing our conversion of the master language files from FrameMaker to Flare. I would like to know if there is a way we can salvage the translation that has already been done, and in particular, can we generate a TM database that we can use going forward?. I'm not sure that there is a TM database from what was done originally in FrameMaker.

It seems that we could import the translated documents into Flare as a new project, but that would mean reformatting topics that we are already reformatting in the master language project. That is a lot of topics! Is there a better - and faster - way to do it? If we have the master language project and the translated version imported into a Flare project (even though it wasn't translated in Flare/Lingo), will we have success in "aligning" the projects to create a TM database?

If you don't have a TM database, do it (if you project translations to be an ongoing part of product deliveries). Its worth the effort. Its doesn't matter whether its a lot of work, but i think a TM database, going forward saves tremendous amount of time not just for your next project but future projects for other people on your team as well. period.

if you already have a TM database, try exporting your existing TM database to a TMX file -90% likely that if you have a translation memory database exporting to open TMX standard is pretty err, 'standard'. Lingo can import the TMX file into its database and you can start localizing pretty quickly in the Lingo 3 environment. If you need to an exit strategy out of lingo, you can export Lingo's TM back out to TMX as well.

About reformatting topics, am not sure what's going on exactly there, what is a master language project and what sort of reformatting. can't help there.

Lingo 2/3 has an align feature, which will serve your needs. get the trial and run it through first so you know what you're getting. am usuing lingo 1.5 unfortunately without all the nifty features, but it looks like 3.0 is the version you want to consider seriously.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

What I meant by a master language project was our project in English. What we originally created in FrameMaker (in English) is in now Flare, or is in the process of being imported into Flare. The FrameMaker-to-Flare import has required a fair amount of reformatting, and I would rather not go through that all over again for FrameMaker files in another language.

What was translated (into Japanese), was done in FrameMaker years ago. So, what we have is FrameMaker files in Japanese, probably with no translation memory database, and Flare projects in English. Do we create a translation memory database by importing the Japanese FrameMaker files into Flare and then doing an "align"? Do we have to spend time re-formatting the Japanese version too? Or, is it possible to "align" and create a translation memory database, then create a new Flare project using the properly formatted Flare project that is in English, and then apply the new TM database to hopefully get a huge head-start on applying the translation. I guess I'm trying to figure out which is more time-consuming: A) import the Japanese FrameMaker version into Flare and reformat it, then use that project going forward for future translations and output, or B) use the English version and apply a TM database and redo areas as needed for translation, depending on how much help the TM database is, and use THAT as our project going forward.

Thanks
Abby
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

amatsumoto wrote:What I meant by a master language project was our project in English. What we originally created in FrameMaker (in English) is in now Flare, or is in the process of being imported into Flare. The FrameMaker-to-Flare import has required a fair amount of reformatting, and I would rather not go through that all over again for FrameMaker files in another language.

Thanks
great. that's the whole point of a translation tool. It doesn't and shouldn't touch any formatting content. just text or strings that need translation - that's all.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

amatsumoto wrote: What was translated (into Japanese), was done in FrameMaker years ago. So, what we have is FrameMaker files in Japanese, probably with no translation memory database, and Flare projects in English. Do we create a translation memory database by importing the Japanese FrameMaker files into Flare and then doing an "align"? Do we have to spend time re-formatting the Japanese version too? Or, is it possible to "align" and create a translation memory database, then create a new Flare project using the properly formatted Flare project that is in English, and then apply the new TM database to hopefully get a huge head-start on applying the translation. I guess I'm trying to figure out which is more time-consuming: A) import the Japanese FrameMaker version into Flare and reformat it, then use that project going forward for future translations and output, or B) use the English version and apply a TM database and redo areas as needed for translation, depending on how much help the TM database is, and use THAT as our project going forward.
there are a few questions here.

the short answer is yes. there is a directional translation (English to Japanese, Japanese to English, or Japanese-English-Japanese) option when you are importing/exporting your TM database so that things are imported/exported correctly in future. I'll need to check my facts on this but if i am not wrong yes.

You'll have to weigh the value of the content.

How about option B.

I am betting the English version, since its possibly newer, has more relevant content, and the document styling is presumably more up to date - always considering the value of timeliness of the content.

Since your English project is already being converted to Flare, work is already progressing there. Use that as the baseline.
Import into MadCap Lingo, translate, and export to Japanese Flare project (and all your hard styling work from the English version would have transitioned smoothly over to your fresh, and new translated Japanese project.)
Use the older Japanese Framemaker projects as a guide to your new translation work. Do this as you migrate and sync/align the English-Japanese content together. No need to reformat again after you translate in Lingo. If you've been careful during the translation and retain the right segments of translated information within the XML tags, amatsumoto, you'll be laughing and a jolly new year by the end of the year.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Hi amatsumoto,

I'm also in the process of migrating our existing English documentation from FrameMaker to Flare and need to determine the best way to leverage our existing translations. I'm taking ~15 existing individual FrameMaker books and converting them into three Flare projects, based on product family. It would be too expensive to then send these projects to the translation vendor, so I'd like to be able to import the files into Flare myself, use Madcap Lingo to import our existing TMs (if possible) and then have the translation vendor only deal with cleaning up the projects/applying the necessary conditional tags (I can probably preform these tasks for the German, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, but don't think I will be able to for Korean, Japanese or Chinese). Do you have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!
Kellie
Kellie