Typing is slow

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ksoltys
Propeller Head

Typing is slow

Post by ksoltys »

I'm finding that typing text in the XML editor (the psuedo-wysiwig mode, not the text editor) is ...s...l...o...w. I'm not that great a typist and I can easily type 5 or 6 characters ahead of what appears on screen. By contrast, the edit window I'm typing this in now has no trouble keeping up with me.

I have a 2.66 GHz QuadCore XP machine with 2 GB of RAM, so it's not likely processing power is the issue.

It's pretty annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Keith
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Typing is slow

Post by LTinker68 »

With your cursor in a topic, go to View > Show and see if "Enable GDI+ Text Renderer" is enabled. If it is, try disabling it and see if that helps.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

You can also check if intellisense is the villian - Edit -> Intellisense -> Enable intellisense.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

And by "enable Intellisense" I think Steve meant you want to make sure that Intellisense is NOT enabled.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ksoltys
Propeller Head

Post by ksoltys »

Intellisense is off and GDI rendering is not enabled.

Keith
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Long topic? Many tables? Real-time virus scanning running?
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

ksoltys wrote:I'm finding that typing text in the XML editor (the psuedo-wysiwig mode, not the text editor) is ...s...l...o...w. I'm not that great a typist and I can easily type 5 or 6 characters ahead of what appears on screen. By contrast, the edit window I'm typing this in now has no trouble keeping up with me.

I have a 2.66 GHz QuadCore XP machine with 2 GB of RAM, so it's not likely processing power is the issue.

It's pretty annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Keith
The only time I've seen something that slow on a reasonably fast machine is if I'm accessing the project on a network with very high latency. For example, our projects on our local network are great, but when I connect to our satellite office a few thousand miles away, I want to tear my hair out. The only solution I found was to move the project to a less latency-bound network (for example, put it in an SVN repository and check out local).
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

doc_guy wrote:And by "enable Intellisense" I think Steve meant you want to make sure that Intellisense is NOT enabled.
...it's a toggled setting...

But yes, make sure it is not selected.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ksoltys
Propeller Head

Post by ksoltys »

Andrew wrote:The only time I've seen something that slow on a reasonably fast machine is if I'm accessing the project on a network with very high latency. For example, our projects on our local network are great, but when I connect to our satellite office a few thousand miles away, I want to tear my hair out. The only solution I found was to move the project to a less latency-bound network (for example, put it in an SVN repository and check out local).
I am working off of the network, but it's a 100 MBs ethernet and the files are on a fast SAN. I haven't had issues with it before. So I tried working with a local copy of the project and it's much better. Still not as fast as it could be, but acceptable. Over the network, it's painful.

So now I'll have to figure out how I can work with a copy of the project on my local drive without messing up the linking to the common project, which is on the network.

Keith
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Andrew wrote:[...] but when I connect to our satellite office a few thousand miles away, I want to tear my hair out.
You have offices in satellites? Cool... :lol:
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

doc_guy wrote:
Andrew wrote:[...] but when I connect to our satellite office a few thousand miles away, I want to tear my hair out.
You have offices in satellites? Cool... :lol:
:P
So now I'll have to figure out how I can work with a copy of the project on my local drive without messing up the linking to the common project, which is on the network.
You could try setting up source control (like SVN) and checking out the files local.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
ksoltys
Propeller Head

Post by ksoltys »

Andrew wrote: :P
You could try setting up source control (like SVN) and checking out the files local.
I'm trying to get that set up - have been for a while, actually, but since SVN isn't our default source control system, it's taking a while to get it through the IT maze ....

Keith
collie
Propeller Head

Post by collie »

ksoltys wrote:
Andrew wrote: :P
I'm trying to get that set up - have been for a while, actually, but since SVN isn't our default source control system, it's taking a while to get it through the IT maze ....

Keith
It is the network that's slowing it down. What worked for me in the end was using a Windows Briefcase and keeping it on the local drive - not ideal, and you do have to check from time to make sure the files have been updated, but it did help. That said, even when the files are in the normal local My Projects folder, I find that Flare is slow to react to what I regard as normal touch-typing speed.
collie