Merging topics in WebHelp

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
bleebs
Propeller Head

Merging topics in WebHelp

Post by bleebs »

Is there a way to set up a WebHelp target/CSS so that all my very short <h2> level topics (release notes) will display on a single html page (in TOC order under their <h1> topic content)? ie More like printed output.

As each <h2> topic is so short and there's no content at the <h1> level, there are lots of 'almost' empty pages right now.

I know I could put the <h2> topic content directly under a <h1> topic but the <h2> topics ideally should be authored as standalone topics since they are very often re-used, sometimes several times, in the master TOC, and need to be individually managed (I'd much prefer to use Conditional Tags at topic level over content level if I can avoid it). There may also be rather a lot of these teeny topics eventually (perhaps a thousand or so).

I have played with the page break settings in the <h1> and <h2> styles, but to no effect.

Any ideas? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Cheers!
Julie
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
Sir Terry Pratchett
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Merging topics in WebHelp

Post by SteveS »

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forums.

As you've discovered, it's 1 topic/ 1 web page.

For a one off, you could export your Flare project to Word and reimport to "merge" topics, but I suspect that might casue more problems than not.

You could also author so each final web page is an individual topic in your project. Content under heading 2 which is repeated can be handled as snippets. This is how most people use Flare (and other similar products).

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
bleebs
Propeller Head

Re: Merging topics in WebHelp

Post by bleebs »

Gah! I was barking up the wrong tree then.

Thanks Steve. I was really hoping that was *not* it but did have a sneaking suspicion that might be the case. I'm used to working with database structures so my mind just works that way.

I'll give snippets a go then. I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to get some enormously long topics though.

(DITA?)

Cheers
Julie
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
Sir Terry Pratchett