Best use of variables for multiple outputs?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
hart2hart
Propeller Head

Best use of variables for multiple outputs?

Post by hart2hart »

I am creating one project but will have multiple outputs (many pdf files, as well as OLH). Many of my PDF files will have different "titles", such as "How to Configure the xyz" and "How to Set Up abc". So should I create a variables file called "Titles" and have each of the different titles as a variable, applying that variable to each TOC for output? I don't know if this makes sense and it may not as I am very new to Flare. I will also have "version numbers" for each of the outputs at some point. I suddenly see that this could become a "variable" nightmare... Thoughts and ideas? (Note: Eventually the HOW TO docs will go away and be replaced by OLH but that will be awhile. We are just trying to get to that point but I'm only one person.)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Best use of variables for multiple outputs?

Post by LTinker68 »

Create a variable called something like docTitle and give it a default name, like "Configuring XYZ". Create a target for each product. In each product's target, go to the Variables tab, then double-click in the field next to docTitle to make the field editable, then enter the appropriate title for that target, like "Configuring ABC". Save the target, then build it. Everywhere you used the variable docTitle in the project will be replaced with the value of the variable in the target, so even though it will say "Configuring XYZ" when you're authoring topics, it will resolve to "Configuring ABC" when you build that target.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
hart2hart
Propeller Head

Re: Best use of variables for multiple outputs?

Post by hart2hart »

Thanks! That worked...