Does Webhelp work with ActiveX disabled in IE browser?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
andrewc
Jr. Propeller Head

Does Webhelp work with ActiveX disabled in IE browser?

Post by andrewc »

Our testers are having issues viewing Webhelp output in Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8 with ActiveX disabled (via Tools > Internet Options > Security, disabled options "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" and "Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting").

I tested it as well in IE 6 and couldn't see anything with Active X disabled. But once I enabled Active X again, the Webhelp would display.

The Webhelp is for a web application accessible by our client's customers so we don't know what setup each user has and have to accommodate the most basic setup.

Does ActiveX always have to be enabled to display Webhelp Flare output in Internet Explorer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Does Webhelp work with ActiveX disabled in IE browser?

Post by RamonS »

I tend to say no, it does not have to be enabled. Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome and others do not have the dysfunctional and dangerous ActiveX "technology", but display WebHelp without problem. Could it be that disabling the scripting disables JavaScript as well? IIRC that has a separate setting, but I don't use IE often (I use web browsers).
I'd try enabling the disabled features one by one to see which one will get WebHelp back to life. Once found I recommend reporting this as a bug to MadCap. Additionally, nobody supports IE6 going forward, many companies intentionally deny the use of their services when the "browser" is IE6. I wouldn't even claim to support IE6 and would also not test against it. Reality may disagree.... :roll: