Limit TOC Depth Picked up in PDF Output?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
beagley
Sr. Propeller Head

Limit TOC Depth Picked up in PDF Output?

Post by beagley »

Hi,
For PDF output, is there any way to force the Table of Contents to only go to three or four levels?

I have "Use TOC depth for heading levels" checked (honestly can't imagine how you'd ever want a PDF without that checked), and it works pretty well. But I am using h1, h2, h3 inside my different articles... some of which are already in subfolders. The PDF picks up all of these.

Result: my 100 page manual has a ten page table of contents.

Solution: Something I can tweak that will cause the printed TOC to only go to 3 levels.

Maybe there's something in the stylesheet for the h1-h4 that determines whether or not it gets into the TOC?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Limit TOC Depth Picked up in PDF Output?

Post by LTinker68 »

Yes, in the Stylesheet Editor, click on a heading (h3, h4, etc.) you don't want to appear in the generated TOC, go to the mc-heading-level field (under the "PrintSupport" category when in Advanced view), and set that field to 0. Any heading level with an mc-heading-level field set to 0 will result in that heading class not appearing in the generated TOC.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
beagley
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by beagley »

Thank you!
That appears to work perfectly!
mrsvolunteertoomuch
Propeller Head

Post by mrsvolunteertoomuch »

I am having a similar situation. I have H1 headings and H2 headings in my topics. I use the H2 headings to separate major steps in my procedure. I do not want the H2 steps to appear in the TOC. I want the TOC depth to stop after the H1 heading. So, according to the information in this post, I should be able to change the mc-heading-level on H2 to 0 to stop that depth from printing on the TOC. I've changed the H2-H6 mc-heading-level to 0 and the H2 headings still appear in the TOC. I do have the Use TOC depth for Heading Levels and Inject Headings for Unlinked Books selected on the Advanced tab for this PDF target. Can you think of a reason why this doesn't work?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

What you've done should work ok.

Have you checked the styles are set in the correct medium?
i.e. check the h2-h6 styles in the (default) medium, then print and non-print.

It might be that you've set them in a specific medium only, but aren't using that medium in the target (set on the target Advanced tab).