Easiest output type for customers using WebHelp?

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Easiest output type for customers using WebHelp?

Post by dwag »

I work daily on a large WebHelp file that is incorporated with our software. A while back, my company purchased a license for Mimic v.2, but we have yet to incorporate movies in the help.

My question: if I want a customer to be able to click a link to a movie and have it work without first having to download anything, does the movie output need to be in Silverlight or Flash? Mimic 2's handling of those output types appears to be unpredictable at best.

Thanks.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Easiest output type for customers using WebHelp?

Post by NorthEast »

I think more people would have Flash installed already, although either of those formats would potentially require a download.
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dwag »

Just wanted to make sure. Doubt we'll use Mimic, then. Thanks for the response.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

dwag wrote:Just wanted to make sure. Doubt we'll use Mimic, then. Thanks for the response.
It's not a Mimic issue per se, whatever tool you use, your browser will need to support the chosen format of your movie.
You can assume the majority of people will have Flash, but you can't actually guarantee it, and those that don't will need to install it.
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dwag »

For me, Mimic's Flash output in v. 2 is a big disappointment.
RiverMonster
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by RiverMonster »

One caution with Flash outputs: If your end users do not have internet access then they will not be able to see movie sections run one after the other continously (ie. without user input). To get this to work you need to configure Flash's global security setting to "always allow" and (somewhat bizarrely) you can only change your local Flash security settings via this online web page: http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger04.html.

Adrian