fltoc files are now UTF-8, causing major issues

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
MadCapWriter
Jr. Propeller Head

fltoc files are now UTF-8, causing major issues

Post by MadCapWriter »

Hi,

We are running into major issues with the fltoc file being changed from UTF-16 to UTF-8 in Flare 6. Writers on other machines are unable to view the fltoc files. This is causing major breakage in our system where all writers need to be able to view and modify the TOC files. They are being shown an error message that says:
Data at root level is invalid.

Let me provide some background information.
In pervious versions of Flare, the fltoc files were set to UTF-16, so we had them set in Perforce (our souce control system) to UTF-16 so everyone else could view and modify them. Everything was working fine. Writers could modify the TOC on their machine and others would be able to view it.

I noticed that when these fltoc files are modified in Flare 6, they are changed from UTF-16 to UFT-8. So we changed the file type in Perforce from UTF16 to unicode.
However, we are now running into issues with the fltoc files not being viewable on any machine except the one where the orginal changes were made.
I tried changing the file type back to UTF-16 on the machine where the TOC files can still be viewed, but this did not work. What should I set my file type in Perforce so writers on other machines can view and modify these fltoc files?

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Christina

Information Engineer
Hewlett Packard
Last edited by MadCapWriter on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadCapWriter
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: fltoc files are now UTF-8, causing major issues

Post by MadCapWriter »

I found the only workaround is the following:
1. Open the modified fltoc file in Notepad on the machine where it is displayed correctly.
2. Save the file with the file type as UTF8.
3. Check the file back in to Perforce with the file type as unicode.
Fltoc file can now be viewed on other machines.

This workaround is a real pain in the butt because it means anytime the fltoc files are modified they must be resaved in Notepad with the UTF8 file type.

This also makes me wonder if the fltoc files are really being saved as UTF8 when they are modified in Flare 6.