Duplicate styles, Part II

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Duplicate styles, Part II

Post by Centauri27 »

I am also scratching my head over how Analyzer determines "duplicate styles". For example, I have three styles: p.Note, p.NoteIndent, p.NoteIndent2. All three share the same formatting, except Note has 10pt left indent, while the other two have 30pt and 60pt indents, respectively. These different indents exist in the default, nonprint, and print mediums.

Any ideas why these are flagged as duplicates? I am running Analyzer v3.

Thanks.
Carl
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Duplicate styles, Part II

Post by LTinker68 »

Centauri27 wrote:All three share the same formatting, except Note has 10pt left indent, while the other two have 30pt and 60pt indents, respectively. These different indents exist in the default, nonprint, and print mediums.
Did you define the 10, 30, and 60pt indents in all three mediums? Because you just need to define it in the default medium -- it'll automatically be picked up in the nonprint and print mediums, unless you specifically set a different value. So perhaps that's what Analyzer is flagging as being duplicated.

Basic rule of thumb is, define everything in the default medium and define only the attributes that are different for other mediums. So if p.note has 10pt indent in all outputs, then you define it in the default medium only. If it has 10pt in online output but 20pt in other outputs, then you define 10pt in the default medium and 20pt in non-print and print mediums, or whatever is applicable.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Centauri27
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Centauri27 »

LTinker68 wrote:
Basic rule of thumb is, define everything in the default medium and define only the attributes that are different for other mediums. So if p.note has 10pt indent in all outputs, then you define it in the default medium only. If it has 10pt in online output but 20pt in other outputs, then you define 10pt in the default medium and 20pt in non-print and print mediums, or whatever is applicable.
I took a closer look and discovered that p.Note was defined in the default medium, with a tweaking in the print medium for a different font. However, p.NoteIndent and p.NoteIndent2 appear to be defined only in the print and non-print mediums, with the left margin attribute set in non-print. The print versions of these styles also use a different font. I'm still not sure how Analyzer regards these as being duplicates, but perhaps the odd (twisted?) combination of medium definitions might have something to do with it.

Carl
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You might want to submit a bug report at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. I don't use the non-print medium and I've never looked in the CSS rules to see if print cascades from non-print which cascades from default. If that's the case, then the duplication makes sense. If, however, non-print and print are considered to be at the same level (i.e., both cascade from default but not each other), then the duplication doesn't make sense.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.