Find Style Dependencies?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
wvnomad
Propeller Head

Find Style Dependencies?

Post by wvnomad »

Hey all,

Using Flare V5 and wanted to know if there is an easy way to see dependencies for the styles I created in the CSS.

I know there are styles I added when I intitially set up the project but that I'm no longer using. I want to remove them from the stylesheet so that other writers don't get confused about which style to select.

All of this goes back to when I was just learning CSS but before I found out about good CSS commenting. Go figure.

Anyway, any help you can provide would be awesome.

Jason
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Find Style Dependencies?

Post by NorthEast »

There's not a simple way, like checking the dependencies/links for topics.

You could temporarily delete the style(s) from your stylesheet, then run a report to show Undefined styles; which would list the unknown styles and which topics they're used in.

To actually remove them, you'd need to do a find and replace; e.g. to find and remove/replace a style class:
- Open find and replace, and tick 'Find in source code'.
- Search for the class, say class="your_style", and remove it or replace with a different class.
wvnomad
Propeller Head

Post by wvnomad »

Thanks for the quick answer. That's what I thought it was going to be. hmmm..Maybe the smart people at MadCap could use this post as an enhancment request? :o
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You could do a find just on the class name (make sure "find in source code" is enabled) and search the whole project. Unfortunately, that won't tell you if you're using a style in the page layout. At least, I don't think it does, but maybe Flare's search treats the page layouts as topics when it does a find.

MadCap Support may come to the forums occasionally, but that's no guarantee they'll see the post or note the request as a feature request, so you should submit one yourself at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. Make sure you ask for the ability for it to look for the styles in the page layout, masterpage, snippets, and the stylesheet themselves (with auto-numbering formats you can call a span but the span doesn't show up in the topic directly -- at least, not in the authoring environment where you'd do the find).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

wvnomad wrote: hmmm..Maybe the smart people at MadCap could use this post as an enhancment request? :o

Log up a bug/enhancement request on it. Someone's already posted a similar one like this, and if more people log up requests for it, there's a good chance it'll get included in a future release. The support people at MadCap pop in and out of discussions only when discussions heat up sometimes for good measure.

I believe I've logged one similar to this.

Best thing, log up an enhancement request and you can link the enhancement request to the post for good measure. :)
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder