GPL with different source and destination folders?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

GPL with different source and destination folders?

Post by Paul Griffiths »

I use GPL for a couple of projects, but in each case the imported files occupy the same folder (relative to the project) in the destination as in the source.

Is it possible to set up GPL so that a file in the source project can be imported to a different location in the destination project? The structure of the .flimpfl file suggests that it might be done, but I've not been able to figure out how.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: GPL with different source and destination folders?

Post by SteveS »

I can't see an obvious method...

You can drag and drop the imported file in the content explorer, but that breaks the link with the source file.

As a work around, you could move the file in the explorer and then manually edit the import file to show the new location. Clunky approach, but.

I suggest you add an enhacement request here.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
lzampich
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lzampich »

Paul,

I was looking into the same thing. At least to be able to change the destination folder for an imported file.
Have you entered an enhancement request? I will be happy to send a note to MadCap to support that enhancement. I guess the more supporters the more likely it will be implemented, unless it is technically impossible.

Lydia.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I don't think there is a direct way within Flare -- feature-wise -- but perhaps my story can spawn a workaround for you.

In my global project, I have three folders within the Contents Explorer: GlobalImages (I like my images more visible that to tuck them into the Resources folder, where Flare wants to put them by default), GlobalResources, and GlobalTopics.

In my destination projects (I call them "local" projects), I have three folders within the Contents Explorer: Images, Resources, and Topics.

The first time a local project's import pulls stuff in from the global project, the import process creates new folders with the same names as those in the global project, so the local project ends up with six folders: GlobalImage, GlobalResources, GlobalTopics, Images, Resources, and Topics. As I'm authoring in the local project, I know exactly where to find the global components and where to put local components. This scheme has worked very well.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

lzampich wrote:Paul,

I was looking into the same thing. At least to be able to change the destination folder for an imported file.
Have you entered an enhancement request? I will be happy to send a note to MadCap to support that enhancement. I guess the more supporters the more likely it will be implemented, unless it is technically impossible.

Lydia.
The trick with enhancement requests is to add your voice if you see someoen suggesting something you think would be a good feature.

As in all things, development takes resources and Madcap will assign resources on a strict needs basis. So, the more voices, the more likely something will be implemented! It's the old adage about the squeiest wheel getting the grease...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.