How do I change the Start Topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the WebHelp Mobile target and skins
Sharpras
Sr. Propeller Head

How do I change the Start Topic

Post by Sharpras »

In Flare 6.1, Windows XP, how do change the opening screen in Webhelp Mobile output. All I get is a blank ABOUT page (with the WEB HELP MOBILE heading). I'm using the DfltMobileSkin but I've deselected TOC, Index, Search, Glossary and Browse check boxes in the skin properties. I've also deselected Include ABOUT in output check box.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I change the Start Topic

Post by NorthEast »

Hmmm, interesting.

When you open WebHelp Mobile, the home page is always displayed.
However, as you've removed all the features from the home page (TOC, search, etc.); then your home page is completely blank.

Presumably you want it to display a topic, but you can't configure WebHelp mobile to display a topic when it's opened.

Anyway, since you want everything in WebHelp mobile switched off, then is there a particular reason for using that output?
If you just want to show topics and nothing else (no TOC, seach, etc), you could just use regular WebHelp and open the topics directly without the frameset.
Sharpras
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Sharpras »

Okay. Maybe that's right—maybe I don't need the features supplied by the Mobile output. I have a video in each topic page and assumed that they would be resized to fit the mobile devices. Is that not true?

I guess my other option, is to create a TOC instead of using my Welcome page.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Sharpras wrote:Okay. Maybe that's right—maybe I don't need the features supplied by the Mobile output. I have a video in each topic page and assumed that they would be resized to fit the mobile devices. Is that not true?
Yeah, it depends what you want to do...
- If you do want a TOC, search, etc, then use the WebHelp mobile output, as its navigation is designed to be used on a small screen and will be much better than normal WebHelp.
- If you didn't want those features and just wanted to display the raw topics without a 'container', then it'd be a better option to use a normal WebHelp output displayed without its frames. And if you're not using a TOC, you can still use other navigation features like a mini-TOC and breadcrumbs in topics, as well as normal links in your topics.

None of the help outputs will resize videos for you by default, they'll be displayed at their normal size unless you modify their properties - e.g. size, maximum size, etc. Some video formats (like Flash) will probably resize better than others. If your help is only for display on mobile devices, then it's better to get the video size right to begin with, because when it's scaled in a browser the quality might not be very good.