Applying background colour to the help viewer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Applying background colour to the help viewer

Post by Mohinda »

Hi,
I am using Madcap Flare's viewer as our Dotnet help output. I need to change the background colour so that my topics don't dispaly with white background in viewer. I have tried looking in the Style tab in the Skin but I have not managed to find it. Is it possible to change the background colour in the Skin? I am using the Default Skin style.
Please help.
Thanks
Mohinda
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Applying background colour to the help viewer

Post by LTinker68 »

The background color for topics doesn't come from the skin, it comes from the topic stylesheet. Add a background-color attribute to the body tag. If you have margins and padding specified (anything above a value of 0) on the body tag then you could instead set the background-color attribute on the html tag.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

Hi Lisa,
Applying colour to the body tag works for topics but the background of the left window pane of the help viewer is white in the output. Ideally, I would like to apply the same colour to the left pane as the topic background. Is it possible?
Thanks
Mohinda
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

No, as far as I know the DotNet Help skin still isn't editable. Submit a feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

I have logged it.
Thanks
Mohinda
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

Hi,
I need to apply different branding to two online targets. I have used the body tag to apply a background colour to all topics. I created a new class under body tag to choose a different background colour for the second target. I am unable to apply this class to create the target with different background colour. When I build the targets, both have the same background colour. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Mohinda
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Mohinda wrote:Hi,
I need to apply different branding to two online targets. I have used the body tag to apply a background colour to all topics. I created a new class under body tag to choose a different background colour for the second target. I am unable to apply this class to create the target with different background colour. When I build the targets, both have the same background colour. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
Thanks in advance.
You would need to use two different master pages, and apply the body class to the master page.
(If you apply a body class to individual topics, these are ignored if you use master pages.)

On one master page, apply your new body class (to the page's body tag).
(If the class isn't available to select, you might need to add a link to your stylesheet in the master page, using Tools > Stylesheet Links.)

Then select the appropriate master page to use for each target (on the Advanced tab).
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

I have created two Master pages, one for each target. I have linked each target to the correct masterpage. They both have the same style sheet. How do you select the correct Style class for the background colour?
Mohinda
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Mohinda wrote:I have created two Master pages, one for each target. I have linked each target to the correct masterpage. They both have the same style sheet. How do you select the correct Style class for the background colour?
As above...

On one master page, apply your new body class (to the page's body tag).
(If the class isn't available to select, you might need to add a link to your stylesheet in the master page, using Tools > Stylesheet Links.)
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

Sorry, Dave, I have done what you have suggested. It has not worked. I must be missing something crucial. It seems to me that first style class that I created a long time ago is hardcoded. Even after selecting the new Class it goes back to the old background colour.
Mohinda
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Mohinda wrote:Sorry, Dave, I have done what you have suggested. It has not worked. I must be missing something crucial. It seems to me that first style class that I created a long time ago is hardcoded. Even after selecting the new Class it goes back to the old background colour.
When you apply the class to the body tag in the master page, does the background change colour?

Anyway, your stylesheet should look something like this:

Code: Select all

body.A
{
   background-color: #ffcccc;
}

body.B
{
   background-color: #ccccff;
}
And your master pages should look something like this:

<body class="A">
        <MadCap:breadcrumbsProxy />
        <MadCap:miniTocProxy />

<body class="B">
        <MadCap:breadcrumbsProxy />
        <MadCap:miniTocProxy />
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Mohinda wrote:It has not worked.
Do you mean you don't see the color change in the compiled output, or you don't see the color change in the XML Editor?

Lisa
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

Thanks, guys. Eagle has landed finally.
It works now.
Mohinda