Unable to run X-Edit in Windows 7--Help?

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
carolynmwallace
Sr. Propeller Head

Unable to run X-Edit in Windows 7--Help?

Post by carolynmwallace »

Our company doesn't have a maintenance contract, so I have to try and work this out myself. :(

We have two people who were just upgraded to Windows 7. They both installed X-Edit, but neither can get it to work.

One person can open topics from Flare, but the topics are blank; they can't see or edit any text.

The other person can't even open a topic, every time they try they get an "Unhandled Exception" error and X-Edit has to close.

Any ideas?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Unable to run X-Edit in Windows 7--Help?

Post by SteveS »

I'd get them to check the required .Net frameworks have been installed.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Except for .NEt 4 all .NET runtimes are included in W7 and there is no way to reinstall those. Which version of W7 is it? The really expensive versions (all W7 versions are ridiculously expensive, but some or even more insanely priced) have a copy of XP built in. That may be an option.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

RamonS wrote:Except for .NEt 4 all .NET runtimes are included in W7 and there is no way to reinstall those. Which version of W7 is it? The really expensive versions (all W7 versions are ridiculously expensive, but some or even more insanely priced) have a copy of XP built in. That may be an option.
That's true, but on several occasions .Net 3.5 has been included with the Updates automatically applied to my machine (64bit Win 7).

As Madcap uses .Net 3.5 runtimes, and 3.5 has turned up on both my desktop and my laptop (that have Madcap products installed) I thought it would be as good a place to start as any...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Alvaro Mancero
Propeller Head

Post by Alvaro Mancero »

Hello,

X-Edit should work without a problem in Windows 7. Could you verify that the package you are trying to view was created in Flare 6.1? If the package was created using older versions of Flare, you will have to open it with X-Edit version 1

Cheers,
Alvaro Mancero
Technical Support
Madcap Software
carolynmwallace
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by carolynmwallace »

Alvaro Mancero wrote:Hello,
X-Edit should work without a problem in Windows 7. Could you verify that the package you are trying to view was created in Flare 6.1? If the package was created using older versions of Flare, you will have to open it with X-Edit version 1
Cheers,
And that is indeed what the trouble was...I have Flare 5, which doesn't work with the latest X-Edit Review.

It would have helped if the fact that X-Edit Review 2 doesn't work with Flare 5 had been posted in larger print nearer the download button, and not in small print at the bottom of the page. :( My reviewers didn't even see the note, as it comes far below the DOWNLOAD button, and I had no idea the two were incompatible.

Thanks for helping us get on the right track!