Table splitting problem

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
rlane
Propeller Head

Table splitting problem

Post by rlane »

I'm relatively new to Flare and I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem when a table splits across 2 pages.
I have created a basic table style with outer borders and separators defined as 1px solid. I also specify "pattern 1, repeat 1" on the rows, columns, header, and footer tabs in the table style properties dialog.
In one case, the table splits across 2 pages without any formatting problems.
In another case, where I added text above the table to force the table to split at a different row, the split portion on the 2nd page has a double horizontal line below the repeating header row.

Any ideas on what causes the double line how to resolve this problem? Thanks.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Table splitting problem

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I have a sneaky suspicion you can fix it if you change the "borders" property, and I think what you're looking for is "collapse", to be applied to the element of the table that is causing the problem. Look at td, tr, th, table, it could be in any of them. Give it a go and do let us know if that fixes the problem.

That my initial suggestion, my next one is more sensible, and that's to pay great attention to the longstanding experts who post on here, and who I'm sure will be along shortly with the answers to your prayers.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I have a similar problem. The double horizontal border is appearing at the bottom of the table on the first page, where it splits to the second page. Like your table, I have the outer borders and separators defined as 1px solid, but don't use repeating patterns. I'm using a table style, with td and th overrides defined in my stylesheet. I'll update if I find a solution!
Table_BottomBorder.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kellie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Did you specify cell spacing in the table properties? If you set the cell border spacing to 0 and collapse the borders, then you won't get that double border. I also recommend turning off the borders around the table and instead just use borders on the td and th tags. The collapse border option may take care of the issue, but in older browsers you used to get what appeared to be a wider border on all the cells around the perimeter of the table, because you had the table border and the cell's border. So if you just set the border on the td and th tags then you won't get that extra wide border on the perimeter cells.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Thanks!

I did have the Cell Border Spacing (both Vertical and Horizontal) set to zero and the Collapse Cell Borders enabled in the table style, but I'm still getting the double border. :(

I'll try turning off the borders and add the borders to the td and th tags. I'll post back with the results.

Thanks again!
Kellie
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

That worked! Thanks Lisa!
Kellie
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I have one more related question. I also have the double-border problem if I have merged cells within a table. Is there a way to fix/control this using the td style?
MergedCells.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kellie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Hmmm, that doesn't happen for me. What width did you set for your border on the td tag? I usually just do 1px.

EDIT: Ok, I take it back, it does happen for me, but only in the editor. In the final output it's fine. You can report the double border in the editor as a bug at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

EDIT 2: It's fine in WebHelp output but the double-border shows up in PDF output, although not as bad when printed from PDF. In either case, make sure you report it.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
rlane
Propeller Head

Post by rlane »

I think I resolved my problem. In the table style, I had the Table Margins set as Top = 3px and Bottom = 8px. When I changed these to be equal values, say Top = 3px, and Bottom = 3 px, the double line disappeared. This appears to be a bug.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I reported the merged cell border problem as a bug. If they provide a workaround or solution, I'll post it here.
Kellie
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

UPDATE - if you set the table style to "Do not collapse cell borders", the double border for merged cells is not visible in the output and looks better (except now the borders look like a 2px rather than a 1px).
Kellie