Need help with formatting procedure steps

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
heffevuna
Propeller Head

Need help with formatting procedure steps

Post by heffevuna »

I'm just starting to use Flare and I need some guidance. I've imported a big RoboHelp project that I've worked on for years. It was designed only for online output, so I used simple list features in RoboHelp. I want to rebuild all my procedure steps in the best way, simplifying my style sheet as much as possible. I need some advice as to how best to accomplish these types of procedures, all of which are used in the Flare Help documents (wish I could get my hands on that project to see how stuff is done; I can't tell exactly from the Flare documentation style sheet I downloaded, though that is helpful for other styles). I will be using the same content for both online and printed output. I have pretty decent knowledge of CSS, and have also worked some in Framemaker.

1. Step one in the procedure.
More information about this step, but not a numbered item. (Indented, so that the text aligns with where the text starts in the numbered step.)
2. Second step in the procedure.
Key point about this step. (I would like the option of putting bullets on these items.)
Another key point about this step.
3. Third step in the procedure. more... (where this would be the drop-down target)
This is the drop down text explanation. This could involve quite a lot of explanation, maybe a tip or note, or another set of steps, or a bulleted list.

Is it best to use <ol> and <li> or to use auto-numbering? If so, how does one do that?

Thanks, Linda
(P.S. I'm probably going to be asking a fair number of questions in this forum. I appreciate your help in advance!)
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Need help with formatting procedure steps

Post by lacastle »

Welcome to the forums! For new users, I definitely recommend reading the Guides located in the Flare help menu. These forums are also very useful. There are thousands of topics to search through to answer many different types of questions. For example, this recent topic may help with some of your list questions (there are some good examples at the end) - http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =6&t=11731

Just by having "decent knowledge" of CSS gives you an advantage too.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Hello Linda,

For numbered instructions, I tend to prefer <ol> (ordered list), but a lot of other people prefer auto-numbered paragraphs. Auto-numbered paragraphs are simply normal paragraphs (or a paragraph class) that use MadCap's auto-numbering styles.

To get the effect you noted using an <ol>, here's the basic procedure:

1. Create your ordered list by selecting the Numbered List button from the list drop-down button (the button is on the Text Format toolbar...click the little black triangle next to it to see the list options).

2. Type your first line and press Enter to get your second line.

3. Select your first line.

4. From the list actions drop-down button (the rightmost tool button on the Text Format toolbar), select Make Paragraph Item(s).

5. Press Enter to get another paragraph below your first list item. This will have no number, but it will be indented just like your list.

6. Type your next line in the numbered list and press Enter.

7. Repeat Steps 3 through 5 to get that non-numbered line again.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
heffevuna
Propeller Head

Post by heffevuna »

Andrew, that helps a lot! Thanks! A button on the toolbar I hadn't yet discovered :lol:

This method seems to work better for what I'm trying to do, since I can simply set the bottom margin on the dropDownHead to the same spacing as my default paragraphs. Also, when my project imported, it contained a lot of paragraphs inside of li, so I won't have to do as much reformatting.

I was able to set up auto-numbering paragraphs okay, with one style to reset to 1 {n=1} and another to incrementally increase {n+1} but I ran into trouble when I wanted to add drop-down text to the paragraph. The paragraph style that set the auto-numbering got overwritten by the dynamic control style, and I couldn't figure out how to combine them without getting into complex selectors. Seems unnecessary. Your solution is simpler. I'm trying to whittle down my stylesheet to just what's necessary.

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but I'm liking Flare so far. Seems complicated at first, but it's pretty well thought out!

Regards,
Linda
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

You're welcome. Good luck with your Flare experience! It's a great product. :D
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0