Using mini TOC for online and print output

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
heffevuna
Propeller Head

Using mini TOC for online and print output

Post by heffevuna »

I have been trying to figure out the best way to use mini TOC in my project, and just can't wrap my head around the placement and workflow of it. I've read through the discussions and the documentation, but I'm still confused, being very new to Flare. Here's what I'm trying to do. My targets will be HTMLHelp and PDF (for print and online). I've imported my project from RoboHelp, and I'm now committed to single-sourcing, where I was not doing that previously.

I have an online TOC structure that looks like this (numbers and letters represent hierarchy only,since this editor does not allow indenting, and are not included in the TOC):

1. Customers (book, w/a linked overview topic)
a. Adding customers (book w/linked overview topic)
I. How to... (book w/list of task topics in this section) - I want to use the mini TOC in place of the list of topics I entered manually
-Add a new customer - task topic
-Add additional customers - task topic
-Save the Customer Profile - task topic
-etc.
b. Using the Customer List (book w/linked overview topic)
I. How to... (book w/list of task topics in this section) - I want to use the mini TOC in place of the list of topics I entered manually
-Open the Customer List - task topic
-Sort the Customer List - task topic
-etc.

In other areas the "How to..." level is not there, so it looks like this:

1. Business tips (book with overview topic AND list of topics) - I'd like to use a mini TOC here, along with some overview information on the same topic.
a. Tip 1
b. Tip 2
c.Tip 3

Other information about the project:
- All topic titles are h1.
- I also want have a master page for all topics that includes breadcrumbs at the top and a footer at the bottom; I'm applying this to the HTMLHelp target.
- The PDF structure would be more like this:
1. Customers (chapter)
a. Mini TOC of chapter on first page
I. Overview topic
II. Individual topics

So, my questions focus on...
1) If I have to use a master page to create the mini TOC for the online output, do I have to create a different master page for each topic that I want to contain a mini TOC?

2) Can I apply more than one master page to a topic? So could the master page applied to the target apply to the topics as well as the master page containing the mini TOC? I'm assuming that if the answer to this question is no, then I have to add the breadcrumbs and footer to every master page so that it includes the stuff that needs to be included on every page.

3) Am I understanding this correctly that placing a mini TOC proxy on a topic page will only summarize headings on that page?

4) For simplicity sake, should I eliminate the "How to..." book and combine the overview information with the mini TOC of the tasks in that section?

5) Any words of advice on setting this up for the print output?

Thank you for helping me figure this out. I'm enjoying working with Flare much more than with RoboHelp.

Linda Hefferman
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Using mini TOC for online and print output

Post by LTinker68 »

heffevuna wrote:1) If I have to use a master page to create the mini TOC for the online output, do I have to create a different master page for each topic that I want to contain a mini TOC?
Not for each topic that contains a mini-TOC, but you will want different masterpages since it doesn't sound like you want the mini-TOC on every book, just the lowest level books. So you'd want at least two masterpages -- one for topics that will be associated with a book and that will contain the mini-TOC proxy, and one that doesn't contain the mini-TOC proxy. See this KB article for how to use multiple masterpages in a project --> http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#FMP1001F
heffevuna wrote:2) Can I apply more than one master page to a topic? So could the master page applied to the target apply to the topics as well as the master page containing the mini TOC? I'm assuming that if the answer to this question is no, then I have to add the breadcrumbs and footer to every master page so that it includes the stuff that needs to be included on every page.
Only one masterpage per topic, but you can have more than one masterpage in a project (see above), so you can have one for each possible combination of elements you may want (with or without breadcrumbs, with or without mini-TOC, etc.).
heffevuna wrote:3) Am I understanding this correctly that placing a mini TOC proxy on a topic page will only summarize headings on that page?
The mini-TOC proxy works on topics that are a child of the topic containing the proxy. So if that topic is associated with a book (pretty much has to be that way) then all the topics in that book will be referenced in the mini-TOC. How many levels of headings are displayed depends on the value you set when you insert the mini-TOC proxy. By default it only displays the top-level headings (e.g., h1).
heffevuna wrote:4) For simplicity sake, should I eliminate the "How to..." book and combine the overview information with the mini TOC of the tasks in that section?
Generally, you don't want your users to have unnecessary mouse clicks. If they click on a book, they shouldn't have to click on another book to get to the topics.
heffevuna wrote:5) Any words of advice on setting this up for the print output?
How do you mean, exactly? Other than changing the styles for the mini-TOC. Or is that what you're asking about?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
heffevuna
Propeller Head

Post by heffevuna »

Thanks! I'll work with that for awhile and see how I do. I appreciate the help. It seems to be working okay. The master page clarification in the article and your post was key!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Have I been doing it wrong? When single sourcing, I've just plonked a MiniTOC proxy directly into a topic rather than having them in page layouts or master pages. Do I need to rework?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

No, you can do it either way. The advantage of the masterpage is that you insert one mini-TOC proxy and its settings and all topics pointing to that masterpage appear the same (other than the content displayed in the mini-TOC, of course). It adds a bit more complexity because you probably need at least two masterpages in your project. However, if you need more flexibility in the mini-TOCs -- perhaps for one book you want it just one level deep but another book you want it two levels deep -- then putting them into topics directly is the better way to go.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

LTinker68 wrote:... However, if you need more flexibility in the mini-TOCs -- perhaps for one book you want it just one level deep but another book you want it two levels deep -- then putting them into topics directly is the better way to go.
Or two masterpages :?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.