Opening Broken Links in Flare

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
JenniferR
Propeller Head

Opening Broken Links in Flare

Post by JenniferR »

Hi,
I've been using Flare for about a year now, but I just started looking at Analyzer for the first time yesterday. I wanted to use Analyzer to find snippet suggestions and broken links, etc, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.
I'm currently running Flare V6 and Analyzer V2.2 (want to update to 3, but have to wait for IT to do the updates for me). When I try to send a broken link to Flare, it opens Flare V4. I don't want my project files to open in V4, I want them to open in V6... Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Opening Broken Links in Flare

Post by RamonS »

One way would be to uninstall V4, but I assume there is a reason why you still have it around.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I thought there was a post somewhere about Analyzer v3 opening Flare v6 by default and Analyzer v2 opening Flare v5 or earlier by default, just because of the timing of when they were released (Analyzer 3 with Flare 6). I could be wrong, though. I think if you were to upgrade to Analyzer v3 then it probably would open Flare v6 instead of Flare v4. You'd have to ask MadCap Support if there was a way to get Analyzer v2 to launch Flare v6.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
JenniferR
Propeller Head

Post by JenniferR »

Ramon: I do not want V4 or V5 around, but when IT has installed my upgrades, they've left the old ones on my PC. Guess it's time to request that they take those off since I don't have permission to Remove programs from my own PC. :x

Lisa: That makes sense. I'll have to see about getting IT to install my Analyzer upgrades to get me up to date.

Thank you for your responses.
Jennifer

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Well, if V4 is no longer on your PC it will be difficult for any application or user to open it. What I don't get is why there are still IT overlords that restrict user control over their PCs to the nth degree. It's like telling a carpenter that he or she can use just one saw, but is not allowed to switch the blade. In this case it crimps your productivity for days until someone bothers to do the one minute task. Sorry.....maybe I'm just spoiled.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I do recommend keeping the last version of Flare around when you first install the latest version, because sometimes there are issue going from one to the other. That said, there's nothing wrong with keeping an older version around, except for problems like you're experiencing with Analyzer. I have versions 4.2, 5, and 6 on my computer, but that's mainly so I can test things in older versions if someone on the forum has a problem and they're using an older version.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
JenniferR
Propeller Head

Post by JenniferR »

Ramon,
I'm totally with you. Sadly, that's how things work around here. :(

Okay. I just upgraded to Analyzer V3. And the first thing I tried was to open a broken links file by sending it to Flare. It opened in V4.2. So, I drug all previous versions of Analyzer to the Recycle Bin and tried again. Now I get an error message from Analyzer that it failed to run command '<file>'.

Guess I'm a gonna have to contact tech support.

Thanks for the sympathy, at least.
Jennifer