Mimic 5 stops working

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
BillD
Propeller Head

Mimic 5 stops working

Post by BillD »

Hi All,

I've just installed the new update to Minmic 5 and I have a problem! When recording a new movie, as soon as I click the record button I get a WIN 7 error message telling me that Mimic has stopped working. Any help on this would be appreciated!

BillD
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Mimic 5 stops working

Post by RamonS »

Can you post the contents of the error message here? A screen shot or a simple copy from clipboard is fine.
BillD
Propeller Head

Post by BillD »

Here are the error messages (Hope I got this right!)
Madcap1.jpg
Madcap2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

BillD wrote:Hi All,

I've just installed the new update to Minmic 5 and I have a problem! When recording a new movie, as soon as I click the record button I get a WIN 7 error message telling me that Mimic has stopped working. Any help on this would be appreciated!

BillD
Since you just installed it, you may have better help contacting MadCap; most of us are probably not familiar enough with Mimic 5 to be of much help.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
BillD
Propeller Head

Post by BillD »

I'll do that. Thanks.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Yea, I'm with Andrew. That error message is quite useless. Sorry that I made you go through the trouble of posting it. I was hoping for some more clues.
BillD
Propeller Head

Post by BillD »

I've submitted a bug report and it is an issue. Madcap are working on it. Thanks anyway for your replies.
heal
Propeller Head

Post by heal »

I also experience the same problem as you BillD, and get the same error message. It seems like the whole application crashes when you click the Record button in the recording frame. :shock:
KFP53
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by KFP53 »

I am having this same issue. I would like to know when someone hears a reply on what the fix is.

Thanks,
BillD
Propeller Head

Post by BillD »

I reported this to Madcap and they sent me a fix. It appears to depend on the version of Windows you are using. That`s why I don`t want to offer you my fix in case it doen`t work for you. I recommend submitting your own bug report and let Madcap Support contact you to see if your conditions are the same. They responded to me very fast! I`m sure they`ll do the same for you.
heal
Propeller Head

Post by heal »

Thank you BillD for your reply :D I will send a bug report on this then.
heal
Propeller Head

Post by heal »

Tip to all of you who is about to send a bug report: Use form https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. :)
KFP53
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by KFP53 »

BillD -

Thanks for the info!
heal
Propeller Head

Post by heal »

I have received the following brief answer from MadCap support, but unfortunately their solution did not work for me :? :

The issue have been tracked to Windows Media Encoder in Windows 7. Check if you have the the following versions on your computer:

- Windows 7 32-bit
- Version 9.0.0.2980 of WMEncEng.dll (C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder)

If you do, you can take the following actions:
1. Go to the Control Panel > Programs. Uninstall Windows Media Encoder.
2. Reinstall Windows Media Encoder by downloading and unzipping the hotfix from http://ts.madcapsoftware.com/downloads/ ... HotFix.zip (contains a wizard).
3. Restart your computer.

As I said, this solution did NOT work for me...
hamzka
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by hamzka »

Hi, Any solution to this problem yet. I am having the same problem as Heal.

When I capture the error with a debugger, the failure is with the Media Encoder access restriction accessing a location.

Even if we run as admin user mimic still crashes at the point whe we click record.
JudyH
Propeller Head

Post by JudyH »

Same here. I have tried the hotfix posted above, but Mimic is still crashing as soon as I attempt to record. This is also Windows 7, 32-bit.
Judy Hennessey
JudyH
Propeller Head

Post by JudyH »

Okay, I think I have this ... the hotfix contains two files.

WindowsMediaEncoder9
WindowsMediaEncoder9VistaHotfix

The first is the reinstall of Windows Media Encoder. That did not fix the problem.

The description of the second indicates that it is for Vista only. I don't have Vista (I have Windows 7, 32 bit), so I had stopped after the first file. But, in fact, both files must be run, in the order given, even if you are using Windows 7, not Vista.

If the second file were named, simply, WindowsMediaEncoder9Hotfix, things would be clearer.
Judy Hennessey
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Keep in mind that "Windows 7" (Windows version 6.1) is only a dot release for Vista (Windows version 6.0), so technically......
Yea, should be labeled better. Send support a note so that they are aware of it and can fix it.