v3 install woes

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
LiamWi
Jr. Propeller Head

v3 install woes

Post by LiamWi »

Hello.

I have encountered the same problem as when i tried a few months ago to install Feedback Server v3 on the same Windows Server that holds my FS v2.

When I try and apply the Server Setup I receive a message:

Specified argument was out of the ranger of valid values. Parameter name: site

I have no idea what to do and last time I asked tech support they had no idea either. Has anyone else encountered this? It pretty much stops all feedback server activity and needs to be rolled back.

The Feedback Server Setup options chosen choose the correct DB as well as the Default website, with the Import option ticked. It is definitely the Import that fails. If I run without the Import it returns:

Failed to open startup file: Specified argument was out of the ranger of valid values. Parameter name: site

If I try and manually import the perfectly working v2 databases it fails with the same message as above.

Anybody else come across this?

We use IIS, MSSQL 2005, Windows Server 2003.

Thanks.

Liam
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Re: v3 install woes

Post by rob hollinger »

Verify permissions.
The following 4 items revolve around the database.

a. How the Server connects to a backend SQL DB Cluster (i.e. .ini file, ODBC configuration, etc...) and what those settings are.
It connects using a connection string that’s constructed from the SQL server name and database name. It uses Windows Integrated Authentication. It uses Windows impersonation if the SQL Server is located on a separate machine from the Feedback Admin. All settings are stored in the web.config file.

b. Minimum permissions required to install\upgrade a version 2 MADCAP DB to a version 3 MADCAP DB.
The user that’s logged in needs to be an administrator of the machine and Feedback Admin must be running in administrator mode if UAC is enabled. The user must also have “sysadmin” permission on the SQL Server in order to have rights to create the database (“dbcreator” may be sufficient but our testing was done with “sysadmin”). If you’re doing an import, the user also needs “sysadmin” permission on the SQL Server from which you are importing from.

c. Does .NET 3.5 SP1 need to be installed on the DB server as well as the application server
Yes.

d. Can the name of the MADCAP database be changed?
Presently, it’s not supported through the UI but it can be done manually through tweaking the web.config file. Importing the database requires that the name begins with “MadCapFeedbackServer”.
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software
LiamWi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LiamWi »

Hello.

Was this a reply to my post? It seems to cover three out of four points that have nothing to do with my query.
LiamWi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LiamWi »

In case you did mean for this response to be aimed at my issue - I remote connect to my server, installed the software myself, have full admin privs, use Windows Authentication for MSSQL, am dbo for the DBs in question.

So I think it isn't permissions.
LiamWi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LiamWi »

Having said that I just found a bunch of asp.net errors based on authentication in my apps log :lol: I'll go through the logs and get back to you after reviewing them.
LiamWi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LiamWi »

OK still fails with the same message as before.

I have:

Windows operating system (the following are supported):
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
SQL Server 2005 Standard
Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
ASP.NET 2.0
MadCap Feedback Server Admin
LiamWi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LiamWi »

I have the problem I think - this is the application error reported on migration attempt:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 11/01/2011 13:45:22
Event time (UTC): 11/01/2011 13:45:22
Event ID: 8cde514d80e640e6bbf13f31a9c0096c
Event sequence: 369
Event occurrence: 4
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/259463726/Root/Service.FeedbackExplorer-1-129392253564019671
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /Service.FeedbackExplorer
Application Path: C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Feedback Server V3\FeedbackServer.app\Service.FeedbackExplorer\
Machine name: LON01-HOMEKB

Process information:
Process ID: 3584
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
Exception type: SqlException
Exception message: The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_TopicView_UserAgent". The conflict occurred in database "MadCapFeedbackServer_V3_d3a78ca2-1867-49a5-a74a-3ed9e33b594a", table "dbo.UserAgent", column 'ID'.
The statement has been terminated.

Request information:
Request URL: http://lon01-homekb/Service.FeedbackExp ... g23m7l3vAn unhandled exception has occurred.FBEwgv54GgXezUIQMicmEWvTTc0K3im2FqLaZh97FOMIEa2SSPnCFLyBhgAn unhandled exception has occurred.FGvIo0v8An unhandled exception has occurred.FtE5pGFOE2j5TKfVK319r5CnK0cpgcdVbZ6Vk9KV1wTcNqbSdWipCn0VnAn unhandled exception has occurred.FHtyAn unhandled exception has occurred.FN8TyUEyL8fqVXVIkMdFUtSXDJRqvH4MYAn unhandled exception has occurred.BqAn unhandled exception has occurred.BG8TfLfvABxU4WPNln7U7q4wcWuBVWmSBHXyiRPl9my9OgcYoVIKbALU5TfGsxjL6hDCJbzm7YYHxta8lUmVR8An unhandled exception has occurred.FwoupfdpzkA0cQ0JBDF81vu4vZSXEpwZMydTC5BMIMeTS8JmVjT0ohSmIchCWwnWy3RHRDD3MoP5Odpi5Zidjhm45GPGgIvn5Ay6LyxQLQYKzidlcy6bHv76gnlAMwMgf24T3NyZXEIF13EIcw22aueWGaiMfu3zKkt2OjYfm3GnepvqdZCMd2M3xA3HggyFR0bYa5ayVP0OBNAn unhandled exception has occurred.BxJ0M2An unhandled exception has occurred.FLaO6zapSspJSjOMUKXyAn unhandled exception has occurred.BCMtUwIlWl6cic0so6Y54G5JFd2QjEF3i9Px7CwLsAn unhandled exception has occurred.FVEkUldd9TMWXzdwQDCFAbAn unhandled exception has occurred.B3hYJdlBo79U3hKgV3YhAsEkNWonZnk3An unhandled exception has occurred.B6l6bmV1KHyOce5KzEN4j8F7h7gvdZqXi6kAbWsUiCWHdPc7a3kdAgZANXPp8vTlQZRUJZ8gknIWc3ARzpG7uDaiMAn unhandled exception has occurred.F2IibKAn unhandled exception has occurred.FK0eOnLAn unhandled exception has occurred.FB6yVW40i2cuon4RJ9RCAJ3iteAn unhandled exception has occurred.FRQU9W03DLz1A4iiawsBHIGbGVTkoRjCq70BwiODUVsiVMDqZfK5MoJHO3hjtq8n0ERyxKjipWPnyARNPqRGoTvkcV7fgAn unhandled exception has occurred.BkBAn unhandled exception has occurred.FZHokeOGS3YWZwiFRKDFjgFNcdvAs3UAZtPvcqaBAn unhandled exception has occurred.FvDmetA7LFZOMpqX5An unhandled exception has occurred.F7E3eS8IkcKAFkljVLH73y337ngjvZAn unhandled exception has occurred.FRYxZuIMCKf3PKHKMqLxqQe69bosCiJjMY8NHBIg8StsKSdfXsCHsRJQCzAn unhandled exception has occurred.FAn unhandled exception has occurred.BLWpRtygGgMntaVWS5UeOUtv1Lf0Cu1yd6OT6WHzi4o2qYGGOyQiAn unhandled exception has occurred.F&CSHID=null
Request path: /Service.FeedbackExplorer/FeedbackJsonService.asmx/LogTopic2
User host address: 43.193.211.68
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
Thread ID: 16
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdatedRowStatusErrors(RowUpdatedEventArgs rowUpdatedEvent, BatchCommandInfo[] batchCommands, Int32 commandCount)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdatedRowStatus(RowUpdatedEventArgs rowUpdatedEvent, BatchCommandInfo[] batchCommands, Int32 commandCount)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataRow[] dataRows, DataTableMapping tableMapping)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdateFromDataTable(DataTable dataTable, DataTableMapping tableMapping)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataTable dataTable)
at B3.SqlKit.SqlHelpers.SqlInsert(String connectionString, DataTable dataTable, String tableName, String[] columns)
at B3.LiveHelpServerKit.LiveHelpServerController.LogTopic(String tid, String ipAddress, String referrer, String cshID, Byte eventType, String browserName, String browserVersion, String operatingSystem, String userAgent)
at Service.FeedbackExplorer.FeedbackJsonService.LogTopic(String tid, String cshID)
at Service.FeedbackExplorer.FeedbackJsonService.ProcessMethod(String methodName)
at B3.WebServiceKit.DualWebService.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Post by rob hollinger »

Check the following:

PERMISSIONS:
[computer]\ASPNET add to install folder:
MadCap Feedback Server V3

Application Pool:
Change Identity from Network Service to Local System

Other items to check:
What is the site name in IIS? Do all the elements in the Web.config file match what they are supposed to? The name of the SQL server, the database number, and the secret key?
can Feedback Explorer reach the server and pull down data?
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software