Search Results for Topics NOT included in TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
jcoria
Propeller Head

Search Results for Topics NOT included in TOC

Post by jcoria »

Trying to find the best way to accomplish the scenario.
There are a few topics that should not be included in the Search.
There are topics that are used in more than one TOC and Target.

What is the best way to EXCLUDE a topic in a search? I have tried the unchecking the Include when Full Text Search is generated from the topic properties; that does not seem to work for some reason. I was able to remove the topic from Search by applying the conditional tag for print only and indicating that in the target.

So, I have a project with several topics that will have a few different TOCs and outputs. I need to exclude topics from an TOC/output so they do NOT show up in search results.

Thanks for the help.

JC
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Search Results for Topics NOT included in TOC

Post by LTinker68 »

Selecting the option in the Topic Properties screen should work. However, when you build, Flare always deletes and rebuilds the search*.xml files -- the chunks that contain the indexing of the search terms. It could be that your browser didn't load those new search files (or maybe you didn't upload those files). Try deleting the output folder and rebuilding and see if that helps -- that should force the browser into thinking you're going to a brand new website and will load everything from scratch and not the cache.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

I interpreted that as not only should the topics not be in the search, they should not be in the output at all. In which case you'll have to use conditions to exclude topics.

When you generate help output, it includes *all* topics in the project, not just those in the TOC. If there are topics you don't want in a particular help output, you have to exclude them using conditions.
jcoria
Propeller Head

Post by jcoria »

LTinker68 wrote:Selecting the option in the Topic Properties screen should work. However, when you build, Flare always deletes and rebuilds the search*.xml files -- the chunks that contain the indexing of the search terms. It could be that your browser didn't load those new search files (or maybe you didn't upload those files). Try deleting the output folder and rebuilding and see if that helps -- that should force the browser into thinking you're going to a brand new website and will load everything from scratch and not the cache.

I have attempted this without success. What I am wondering is that my output is on IIS (server 2008r2); and the output is webhelp plus. The server is doing the searching if I am not mistaken. Could it be that the servers indexing does not change and still includes in the search if the remove parameter is changed after an initial publishing?

JC
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

For that I'll have to punt since I don't use WebHelp Plus. Anyone?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
32ndFlava
Propeller Head

Post by 32ndFlava »

whunter wrote:I interpreted that as not only should the topics not be in the search, they should not be in the output at all. In which case you'll have to use conditions to exclude topics.

When you generate help output, it includes *all* topics in the project, not just those in the TOC. If there are topics you don't want in a particular help output, you have to exclude them using conditions.
I agree. I was about to post this exact same question but found your answer and then created a separate condition tag for topics that I created but I don't want searchable from the WebHelp. I thought that only what you placed in the TOC would be what was brought over into WebHelp but that isn't the case.

Thanks for the help whunter!

Also I'm using WebHelp, not WebHelp Plus.