Sending multiple topics for review in one email?

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Sending multiple topics for review in one email?

Post by Cecily »

Can you?

Generating an individual email for each topic is a little time consuming, and you also need to send the reviewer info on the TOC and/or browse sequence so they can see how topics relate to each other, whereas if you could bundle up several into a specific order, it might be easier all round, especially if you want a whole project reviewed.
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Sending multiple topics for review in one email?

Post by Cecily »

Alternatively(ish), can you send the TOC, so reviewers can see the hierarchy of topics (other than by emailing a screenshot)?
jacortes
Propeller Head

Post by jacortes »

Cecily,
I have zipped many .htm files and sent them for review. Reviewers can annotate .htm files in X-Edit Review and send them back. This works ok, but they can't see snippets or images.

Anyone,
Is there a way to turn your .htm topic into a .fltrev review file without automatically sending an email? Likewise, I have so many topics sending an email for each of them is too time consuming. I'd like reviewers to be able to see the images and snippets too.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

jacortes wrote:Cecily,
I have zipped many .htm files and sent them for review. Reviewers can annotate .htm files in X-Edit Review and send them back. This works ok, but they can't see snippets or images.
That's an interesting idea, thanks. But then of course you're doing much of it outside Flare/X-Edit, so you either have to accept their amended htm in total (overwriting yours), or you have to open it separately, compare with yours, and manually copy over the changes you want. Coupled with the fact you point out that reviewers won't be able to see snippets or images, it's only a partial solution - replacing one set of limitations with another. RFC....
jacortes
Propeller Head

Post by jacortes »

Just an update...

My reviewer really liked being able to annotate the htm. So I posted full directories on our share drive so he can see all the images. He opens the .htm in X-Edit, annotates, and saves with a "_changes.htm" suffix. I open his .htm file in X-Edit and compare to my topics.

Not perfect, but not bad for just a handful of files with a handful of images. He still can't see the snippet text though, even with the snippets folder correctly in place.

Can anyone tell me if creating the .fltrev review file includes all images and snippets? I can't test because Flare is on a different drive than my email account. I can't seem to create the .fltrev without this connection to email.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

jacortes wrote:I open his .htm file in X-Edit and compare to my topics.
Presumably you just do that by eye, though if he's using annotations, differences should be easy to spot?
jacortes wrote: I can't test because Flare is on a different drive than my email account. I can't seem to create the .fltrev without this connection to email.
Is it worth setting up a Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo email for this purpose? (It doesn't take long and can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection.)
jacortes
Propeller Head

Post by jacortes »

Yes, I check annotations by eye. I don't want him (passively and indirectly) editing any of the actual text. :D
gwadmin
Propeller Head

Post by gwadmin »

I'm thinking of testing this at a client site, and the multiple topic reviews is certainly an issue (I'd be sending whole projects or branches of projects, and need the snippets and such included)... I'd guess this might be a hot feature in v2...coming anytime soon?
Rose
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Rose »

This would be a great idea! In an online business, it would really be good if you could send multiple topics for review in one email to your customers. This is a good marketing strategy indeed!
My Sports Email
mhay
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mhay »

seems to working now. just got round to looking at setting up the document review process and it lets me choose to add as many topics as i like (havent checked for huge number though..) Then add your contacts that you wish to email (these are stored in a contacts list once created). Now heres hoping the reviewers can get x-edit installed