To link or merge?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Steveman
Sr. Propeller Head

To link or merge?

Post by Steveman »

So I'm ready to join my WebHelp to our existing help portal. Essentially the user will click on an existing 'Knowledgebase' tab and instead of going to the existing Knowledgebase my WebHelp will open, using some kind of web developer voodoo. Up until now I've been developing WebHelp on my local machine, but we want to use WebHelp Plus for the live stuff, because we need to search for a lot of non-xhtml docs and PDF as well.

For the WebHelp I've been using the 'link to other Flare project' option and linking all the various manuals at locations specified in the TOC. Works well and looks nice. For WebHelp Plus the scenario calls for copying the output folders into the Automerge folder and copying the non-xhtml files into the Autosearch folder. This is all fine but it means that the merged files get added to the master TOC in one group, and not split up as they would have been when linked.

My question is, can I generate WebHelp Plus output using the linking option and still incorporate non-xhtml searches, or do I have to use Automerge as outlined in the scenario? Basically I want to have the expanded search capability of WebHelp Plus, but I want all my merged files (manuals) to be placed in the master TOC where I need them, like I did with WebHelp.

Any ideas appreciated. Any at all.
Carp diem - Seize the fish
Steveman
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: To link or merge?

Post by Steveman »

Due to an overwhelming lack of interest this post has been cancelled.

I think I have figured it out for myself anyway. The answer is 'yes.' I set up the WebHelp Plus TOC as a copy of what I had for Webhelp. Had all the linked outputs with WebHelp Plus targets. After building the master a Subsystems folder was created as per WebHelp. I copied a bunch of Word and PDF docs into the Autosearch and after waiting a day for the indexing to catch up it all worked fine. I have linked rather than merged output, but it's linked where I need it in the TOC and I have server side searching of all the docs that I haven't got around to importing yet.

Of course it might be a different story when it gets published to the web server, but we'll see.
Carp diem - Seize the fish