Initial "Get" from TFS

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
bneuha
Jr. Propeller Head

Initial "Get" from TFS

Post by bneuha »

Hello, All,

When a user needs to work, for the first time, a Flare project that's under source control, the user must perform a Get Latest operation via a separate tool like Visual Studio, because Flare itself doesn't browse the repository. This initial Get creates a new Working Folder under the Workspace in Visual Studio.

At this point, there are now local copies on the user's machine, which can be opened in Flare, checked out, edited, etc.

However, at any subsequent time, if the user runs a Get Latest from inside Flare it creates another, competing Working Folder, which wreaks havoc on source control. For example, in Visual Studio it'll incorrectly change the file state to Not Downloaded. You also lose visibility into who has files checked out, and so on.

Our current workaround is to tell users to NEVER do a Get Latest from within Flare, which is hard to avoid since it prompts for just that (with a default of Yes) all the time. Instead we have them jump over to a separate app just to run Get Latest. Check ins, check outs, and other source control commands from inside Flare work fine.

Anybody else have this problem, or am I just missing some vital step in the workflow? How do you guys get your files out of TFS the first time and avoid this Catch-22?

FWIW, this behavior occurred with Flare 7 and TFS 2010.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Ken Billing
Propeller Head

Re: Initial "Get" from TFS

Post by Ken Billing »

I think what you're looking for is to start with File>Import Project>From Source Control instead.
Ken Billing | Technical Writer
BlueCielo ECM Solutions
http://www.bluecieloecm.com

bneuha
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Initial "Get" from TFS

Post by bneuha »

Just what I was looking for. Many thanks!