Video import not working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
kishoregp
Jr. Propeller Head

Video import not working

Post by kishoregp »

I am using Flare V7 (trial). After importing a video file (avi / wmv), the published video remains still. Swf works fine though.
Both the videos play otherwise while embedding in a normal html page. But through Flare it doesn't.
Any clues?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Video import not working

Post by lacastle »

are you trying to view the video in Flare or in your output?
kishoregp
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kishoregp »

In the Output (html), it just shows the player, the video doesn't play
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Madcap Guru »

HTML Help or Webhelp? and What type of Video was it?
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support
tamsinjoy
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by tamsinjoy »

I am having the same issue.

I am working with Flare 7. I imported an AVI file, and it played as a preview in Flare when I imported it. When I generated Webhelp, the video displays but does not play in my output. Any ideas? Is this a browser config issue?
shwetae
Propeller Head

Post by shwetae »

Hi
I am facing the same problem.The video works perfectly in the preview but after I build the HTML output,it shows only the player with player contols.
When I try to play the video,it shows me connecting and then blank frame. :(

any insight would be helpful

Thanks
Shweta
tamsinjoy
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by tamsinjoy »

I discovered this in Flare Help (Features > Movies > About Movies):
MULTIMEDIA NOT WORKING? Due to issues with Windows Media, these files will not work in the compiled output if the link from the topic to the media file has ../ at the beginning (to read the Microsoft KB article, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819105). For example, let's say you have a topic at the root level of the Content Explorer and another topic that is in a folder you created. Suppose that each of these topics contains a link to a Windows Media file that is stored (by default) in the Resources/Multimedia folder in the Content Explorer. The file will work in the first topic but not in the second. The solution is to move either the topic or the multimedia file to fix the link. Therefore, you might decide to move the multimedia file into the folder where the topic is stored. Alternatively, you might move all topics that use multimedia into one folder. Then, you might place all multimedia files in that same folder or a subfolder within it.

I moved my topic (linked to the AVI file) and the AVI file into the same folder. I recompiled WebHelp and the AVIs play in WebHelp now. :)
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Wonder which security issues Microsoft is referring to. Sounds more like a bug that they didn't want to fix.
shwetae
Propeller Head

Post by shwetae »

Thanks tamsinjoy for this tip.I also moved my video file in the same working folder.

But now I have some other problems.The video shows fine in the output but I have no control over the video( I cannot even see the controls even after uncheck the Auto Play option and select Player Controls as Full).
So I tried using java script but a different problem is seen .
The entire path of the video needs to be specified.So after I build my output,the video is visible on my machine only.

I am using a AVI file created using Camtasia.

Please help :(

Regards,
Shweta
parsonsv
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by parsonsv »

Can you believe it's 2021 and we still have to do this workaround? Thanks for posting.
tamsinjoy wrote:I discovered this in Flare Help (Features > Movies > About Movies):
MULTIMEDIA NOT WORKING? Due to issues with Windows Media, these files will not work in the compiled output if the link from the topic to the media file has ../ at the beginning (to read the Microsoft KB article, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819105). For example, let's say you have a topic at the root level of the Content Explorer and another topic that is in a folder you created. Suppose that each of these topics contains a link to a Windows Media file that is stored (by default) in the Resources/Multimedia folder in the Content Explorer. The file will work in the first topic but not in the second. The solution is to move either the topic or the multimedia file to fix the link. Therefore, you might decide to move the multimedia file into the folder where the topic is stored. Alternatively, you might move all topics that use multimedia into one folder. Then, you might place all multimedia files in that same folder or a subfolder within it.

I moved my topic (linked to the AVI file) and the AVI file into the same folder. I recompiled WebHelp and the AVIs play in WebHelp now. :)
Victoria Clarke