sizing graphics within a snippet

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
SallyD
Propeller Head

sizing graphics within a snippet

Post by SallyD »

I have a table that contains the callouts and element descriptions for a graphic (AKA: the cheapest way to deal with UI screen captures in translation).

This snippet is used in a print target as well as in a WebHelp target. It was created in the print target with no style class to set the size, in case that matters. Although I could really live without the partial black outline, I can live with how this looks.
printsnippet.png
When I add the snippet to the WebHelp topic, not so nice.
websnippet.png
I assumed the easiest way to handle this was to insert a second image with the correct style class, then use conditions to sort out which image to display. Unfortunately, when I try that, I get this little gem:
ImgUnhandledExcept.png
Obviously I'll be contacting tech support about that. In the meantime, can someone suggest another way around sizing these graphics correctly? There really is a reason I'm working on this on Easter Sunday. ;-)

Sally
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: sizing graphics within a snippet

Post by LTinker68 »

It may look off in the XML Editor but fine in the generated output. It depends on the resolution of the graphic and what output type you have the XML Editor set to display. For instance, if the image is 150dpi and the XML Editor is set to web view, then the graphic may look larger than you like, since 150dpi is better for print output than online output.

If you want to use the same image for both types of outputs, then you can either use MadCap Capture to set two different profiles on the same image (one setting the dpi to 96 for online output and one leaving it at 150 for print output), or you can use the stylesheet to create a custom img class that has the dimensions of the image set to one set of values for online output and another set of values for print output. That may not result in the crispest image, though, depending on the image's original resolution and what you're scaling it down to.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SallyD
Propeller Head

Re: sizing graphics within a snippet

Post by SallyD »

Thanks for the response, Lisa. The screen captures were from the output, not the XML editor.

I was finally able to get around the error and added the properly sized images where needed and have conditions sorting it out.