Internal error received during compile

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
GraemeA
Jr. Propeller Head

Internal error received during compile

Post by GraemeA »

I have recently added my projects into source control (Microsoft Visual Studio 2010) and ever since I repeatedly get an Internal error stating that the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. I have seen other topics on the forum of a similar nature and have tried various solutions, such as deleting the location in Explorer, rebooting or changing the output location, with some success but it eventually reapperars :x

However, it appears that the underlying cause may be that the HH.exe (the Microsoft Windows Help utility) is still running in the background, even when a help file has been closed. If I end this process through Task Manager, the project builds successfully. The HH.exe also uses up 50% of my PCs resources whilst open, which locks up other open applications. This is not a permanent solution, but I can live with it for the time being :|

Anyone else had this error and found a permanent solution?
paul55
Propeller Head

Re: Internal error received during compile

Post by paul55 »

I've been seeing a similar problem since upgrading to Flare v7 (I don't believe it ever occurred with Flare v6). I'm not using source control integration though; I just edit and build PDF and HTML Help targets from within Flare.

Some of the time (haven't found any pattern yet) I'll notice hh.exe eating up all of one CPU (50% of my dual-core system). This is usually after I've closed the HTML Help window. I haven't found any solution other than nuking it with Task Manager.

From googling around a little, I saw one hint that a corrupt hh.dat file could be to blame; but I haven't found this file on my system yet, so maybe there's some other cause.

I've been playing around with JavaScript code in my help project; I wonder if that's to blame? I guess I'll back that out and see if the problem goes away.

If you or anyone else comes up with a solution, I'd be glad to know about it!

Thanks,

-Paul
young@heart
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by young@heart »

Yup Guys,
I'm getting those same issues here (compile problem and 50% CPU usage from hh.exe) since installing Flare 7. Task manager seems to be the only solution at present. While it's unconfirmed, sometimes hh.exe seems to come up again of it's own volition after nuking it with TM :?: Very annoying.
Boone
Propeller Head

Post by Boone »

I have the same issue with HH.exe since upgrading to Flare V7 - never had the problem with V6. It is a persistent and annoying problem that causes my (Windows XP) system to become paralyzed. Sometimes, there are 2 copies in Task Manager that I have to end. I now watch for them - they aren't in Task Manager until I start Flare; they appear while working in Flare (using ~50%CPU); and they remain after closing Flare. I now routinely delete them.
young@heart
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by young@heart »

HH.exe only seems to come into play when you view a CHM file so if you don't kill it with Task Manager before viewing a second CHM then you can end up with two copies running, and two times 50% = 100% = locked up PC, or that's the way it presents to me anyway. Has anyone put in a bug request yet?

Phil
GraemeA
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by GraemeA »

Hi Phil,

This sounds identical to my problem - HH.exe running in the background when a CHM file is opened. I'll get it logged with Madcap.

Graeme.