GPL and Translations

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

GPL and Translations

Post by techwriter31 »

I recently implemented global project linking. In the global project, I'm storing snippets, stylesheets, etc. I will need to send two of the child projects for translation soon. What's the best practice for this scenario, in order to keep translation costs down? Do I send the global project and the two child projects? Or only the two child projects?

Ideally, we only want to translate the shared snippets once, so It seems like I'd send all three...but I'm not sure if this might complicate the translation process?
Kellie
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: GPL and Translations

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm fairly sure that, yes, you send the Global project, too. I have a user group colleague who works for a translation company. She's their Flare guru. She's just back from vacation today, so I'll send her a link to this post so that she can offer her "voice of experience" advice.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
alt_jennifer
Propeller Head

Post by alt_jennifer »

Hi! I'm the colleague Nita was talking about :)

Yes, you should send along the Global project as well. If your translation vendor knows how to work with Flare correctly, they will translate the shared files one time, in the global project, and then reimport them to the child projects. The child projects would only require translation for the unique content.

I hope that helps!
Jennifer Schudel
Localization Manager/Flare Operator
Advanced Language Translation / http://www.advancedlanguage.com
* MadCap Recommended Translation Vendor *
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

That does help. Thanks!
Kellie