ClearCase and Flare Questions

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

ClearCase and Flare Questions

Post by techwriter31 »

We've been using Rational ClearCase and Flare concurrently for years, but I just figured out how to use the ClearCase plug-in for binding new projects to ClearCase, and have a few general questions.

1) If an existing the project is already under source control in ClearCase, do you simply "bind" the project using Flare? If so, are there any side effects, or does the binding process simply allow Flare to recognize the project as being under source control?

2) We typically branch our Flare projects for each of our software releases. Are there any known problems with using ClearCase to branch Flare projects that have been bound to source control?

3) When a new project is created and you bind the project in Flare, it automatically adds all files to ClearCase, even files that are imported via global project linking. Generally speaking, is it recommended to add the global files to ClearCase, both in the parent and child projects?

3A) If so, are there any pitfalls to including them in both locations? I've tested this out - both without binding the project in Flare and with binding the project in Flare. When the project wasn't bound in Flare, I encountered situations after importing files to the child project and checking them in. Upon the next import the file in the child project would show up as being newer than the file being imported. I thought that ClearCase might be changing the timestamp of the file based on the check-in time, making Flare believe it was newer. But when I tested this using a project that was bound in Flare, I couldn't reproduce the problem.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Kellie
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: ClearCase and Flare Questions

Post by Nita Beck »

techwriter31 wrote:3) When a new project is created and you bind the project in Flare, it automatically adds all files to ClearCase, even files that are imported via global project linking. Generally speaking, is it recommended to add the global files to ClearCase, both in the parent and child projects?
You are definitely ahead of me with your ClearCase integration. We're just testing it this week, and without benefit of the plug-in.

So, with the plug-in, you're sure that you have no option about which child project items will be added to ClearCase? It's only ever ALL? If that's so, then I'm not going to be able to use the plug-in, I guess. Not having the option would be a problem for me, as the s/w fellow who's helping me sort out how to use ClearCase and what to add to ClearCase is advising that I definitely NOT source control imported stuff in a child project. Those files will be added to ClearCase only for the global project. The only stuff I'll want to control for the child project is the stuff that is maintained locally within that project.

Our reason for not binding the imported stuff is to avoid exactly what you're describing in 3a.

Sorry... I realize I'm not helping to answer your question! :(
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: ClearCase and Flare Questions

Post by techwriter31 »

FYI only - here's the method I used to bind my Flare project to ClearCase:

(Regarding the plug-in, I believe it should be automatically integrated with ClearCase.) From Flare, I opened the Project Properties dialog, click the Source Control tab, and click the Bind Project button. This opens the Bind Project dialog. I selected Third-Party Plugin, and "ClearCase" automatically populated the Provider drop-down. I then click the Advanced button to configure my ClearCase settings and clicked the Browse button to automatically populate the Project Name field. I then clicked the OK button and it automatically added all project files and folders to ClearCase, including files contained in the root project directory. I'm still experimenting, but haven't hit too many problems yet.
So, with the plug-in, you're sure that you have no option about which child project items will be added to ClearCase? It's only ever ALL?
From what I can tell, it always adds all files to ClearCase and you can't specify which files to add.

EDIT: When binding the project it adds all files and folders, except for any that are user-specific, like the Output folder.
Kellie