File tags

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

File tags

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Can anyone offer any insight as to how they work with file status tags.

I like the idea of being able to label up files ready for review, review A complete etc... but I only seem to be able to easily inspect which files have which tags by firing up Analyser. Is there a trick I am missing to be able to sort by file tag in the content explorer or something of that type?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: File tags

Post by lacastle »

Before i started using conditions so much for my targets, I used to use conditions to tag topics for review, with questions, finished, etc. That way, i could use the File List (Ctrl+Shift+J) to sort by status.

I have not used the actual File Status tags.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

lacastle wrote:Before i started using conditions so much for my targets, I used to use conditions to tag topics for review, with questions, finished, etc. That way, i could use the File List (Ctrl+Shift+J) to sort by status.
And one can do the same by file tags. Open the File List, make sure that the File Tags column is being displayed, and then sort by file tags.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

lacastle wrote:Before i started using conditions so much for my targets, I used to use conditions to tag topics for review, with questions, finished, etc. That way, i could use the File List (Ctrl+Shift+J) to sort by status.

I have not used the actual File Status tags.
i did this a few years ago before File Tag was used i think.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

lacastle wrote:i did this a few years ago before File Tag was used i think.
Me, too. And in fact, I've ended up going back to using conditional tags again to make stuff that's ready for review, etc. so that I'd have the benefit of the conditional tags' colors...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

As well as using the File List (which I like), you can generate a report to see the file status of each topic.

I also started out using Condition tags to show status as this was all that was available, but now I like the FileTag Status flags much more as they do not clutter up the conditions I need to get the output.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

wclass wrote:As well as using the File List (which I like), you can generate a report to see the file status of each topic.
There's an option in the Report Editor that also lets you print the status report after you generate it. That can be very handy!
Lorraine Kupka
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer
Author of Five Steps to MadCap Flare
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

With a combination of the File List and a report on Files with Tag:Status file tags are working very nicely for me now. I have so many condition tags for different software and hardware variants in the suite of manuals I am writing, it is nice to keep my own file management separate using File Tags.

Thanks
LaurieL
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LaurieL »

Hi, I'm tacking on to the end of this old message because it's the closest I could find to my question. I'm a newbie, so hope this is not verboten!
I'm more experienced with Robohelp, and often find myself looking for how to do things in Flare that I could do in Robohelp. One of these is to use the File List to track all topics that have a condition applied. In RH I could have a column for topic-level conditions, and another column for content-level conditions, but Flare's File List only seems to show topic-level. Is there a way to do this?
I do have FileStatus tags, e.g. SME questions, which are also conditioned so they can be hidden if not resolved, so these are trackable in the File List. But there are also times where I've captured content for a future release and conditioned it as such. Is the only way to find these later by also applying a FileStatus tag to the topic?
<using ver 10>
Thanks,
LL