Lock Topics in Flare 7 with VSS

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
OhRob2011
Jr. Propeller Head

Lock Topics in Flare 7 with VSS

Post by OhRob2011 »

Hello. I am working in a shop that has over 1000 RH files and we are converting over to Flare 7. We have a team of writers working this project, and would like to make sure that we do not have to do file merges.
Since I am new to Flare and VSS, I have no idea how this can happen. If, for example, I check out the build from VSS, is there a way to prevent me from editing files that another writer may be working on at the same time? If I select a topic, will it be possible to ensure that someone else who is also working on that same build will NOT be able to select that topic after I have opened it?

Surely these sound like noob questions...but there is a good reason: I AM a noob!

Thanks for your help!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Lock Topics in Flare 7 with VSS

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm not familiar with VSS but with another source code control program. Can't the VSS administrator set up rules so that if a file has been checked out, it cannot be checked out by another user? Another user could get a read-only copy of it, but not a writable copy. At least this is how the administrator of the system we'll soon be using (ClearCase) has explained things to me.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Re: Lock Topics in Flare 7 with VSS

Post by i-tietz »

We're working with VSS 2005. We created the DB for exclusive checkout, but I think you can change that afterwards, too (screenshot in German - sorry):
vss_exclusive_checkout.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"