Hierarchy of how to create a project in Mimic

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Hierarchy of how to create a project in Mimic

Post by andrew_s »

I'm thinking of revamping the help system that I am responsible for creating for a web-based software app. Currently I'm using Flare v7 to produce printed (PDF) output only.

The app I'm writing about doesn't lend itself too well to PDFs, I'm finding out, so I've been tasked with revamping the way in which help is delivered for the app.

Have been trying to figure out Mimic, and what confuses me the most at this point is the hierarchy of project vs. movie vs. frame.

If I'm correct, a project is created that contains multiple videos which are made up of frames. I understand that. However, what I would like to know is when do you create a new movie vs. a new frame? If, for example, I have a function that requires four clicks (options) in order for it to be configured (e.g. New > Open > Choose Template > Save), is that four frames, or four movies, or one movie/x# of frames. I am also planning at this point of including audio guidance (narration) so I need to figure that into the length of time in between clicks and actions.

Then, once those four steps are complete, let's say you continue the process and start adding elements to a web page, one by one. Is that another movie?

Have followed MadCap's online video tutorials which are basically pretty good but would like some advice on how to best accomplish this.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Hierarchy of how to create a project in Mimic

Post by SteveS »

I use a movie for each series of steps.

So, if I'm documenting How to use Microsoft Word (I'm not, actually, I haven't the time...) I would create a project and for each process create a new movie.

For example, I would create a movie for formatting text, saving a file, opening a template, using track changes.

A frame is udes for each piece of information in the movie.

The formatting text might have a frame for selecting the text, another for changing the font, the next for changing font size and so on.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Post by andrew_s »

Thanks, Steve.

So when you are recording a movie does Mimic automatically divide each action into a frame, or do you have to create them manually. To use your example of Word, say that you are showing how to change a font. So first you highlight the text, then either right-click and select font, or from the formatting toolbar select your settings. Is that 3 frames?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

Mimic is supposed to create a new frame each time the application (being documented) window changes.

I find it is a good practice to hit the print screen button often, particularly around important concepts. Although you can add screen captures at a later date (creating new frames) it is easier to capture extras while making the movie and deleting them during editing.

In the sceanario you describe I will force a capture before and after I have changed a check box, droipdown, etc to make sure I can mimic the original.

As an aside, if you do it properly you can create a training session that people can use even if they don't have the product installed on their machine. The movie can replace the application, reacting to mouse clicks and progressing theough the process...

HTH
Steve
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Post by andrew_s »

Thanks, Steve. That is helpful.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

You're welcome :D
Steve