SharePoint Sync......very very slow.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
ttmatt
Propeller Head

SharePoint Sync......very very slow.

Post by ttmatt »

I was able to get my Flare project posted and connected to SharePoint. This project has about 600+ topics in about 30 folders. When I go to "synchronize" with SharePoint its slow.....like 3 hours slow. Its on the "Comparing...." screen forever. Once the files have been compared and identified its quick in updating them. Anyone experience this as well? Is it just a limitation of SharePoint? Why does it take so long to compare?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: SharePoint Sync......very very slow.

Post by lacastle »

does it make a difference if you flare project is saved on your hard drive instead of a network? i know there is a difference for generating depending on where the project is saved; sometimes it takes 3-4x longer to generate off of the network.
is it slow for all your projects, or just this one? (maybe try a sample with only one or two topics) it could possibly be your connection to the sharepoint server that is slow, and not necessarily flare. (i don't use sharepoint, so i don't know exactly)
ttmatt
Propeller Head

Post by ttmatt »

I post from my local machine up to SharePoint and this is for all my projects. I'm thinking the slow connection isn't helping, but the "comparing" portion is super slow. Figured it would just running a quick script behind the scenes to identify the changed files. Could be bad engineering and a slow connection. Either way it takes forever. Maybe they'll address this in a future version.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

hoss
Propeller Head

Post by hoss »

Now i have multiple projects, each with 3/4 conditional ouput builds, each of those having 2/3 publish locations. Thats 100+ files to publish. If i can do it with a batch target publish that makes it workable.
This worked fine for network locations, but we have also recently been required to publish to sharepoint.
And yes it's unbelievably slow. Just getting a sharepoint connection and displaying the folders takes minutes, publishing well ...
One example project has 4 outputs going to 3 different sharepoint folders - it takes between 30-40 minutes to complete, and Flare is unresposnsive for all of that time.
I've attached a plot of the network activity for just one of the 4 files. I find this really bizzare, 7 minutes of unexplained downloading, an upload in less than a minute (5MB) and then another 7 minutes of downloads, and thats just 1 of 4 files!!!
An this is not even mentioning the unwanted 'catapult.log' file that it throws into the publish destination, which i dont need cluttering up, with no way to turn it off
I've also just reported this as a bug.
Really Madcap this is ridiculous, please fix it.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I assume you reported this as a bug? If not, please do so here:
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx