Getting Started with Contributor

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
LindaW
Propeller Head

Getting Started with Contributor

Post by LindaW »

I must be missing something in the documentation. I have a SME that wants to contribute content, so I'd like to try out Contributor and give it to him with a template. But I can only find documentation for what to do when an author sends you a template. I don't see anything aobut how to create the template to send to the users of Contributor.

I am working on a WebHelp project - my formatting is all done through the project stylesheet. Can that stylesheet be used with Contributor?

I'm just not sure how to get started, and what to provide to my SME.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Linda
writer9
Propeller Head

Re: Getting Started with Contributor

Post by writer9 »

Just stumbled upon your post.

Is this what you are looking for?:

>Go to Flare Help and navigate to:

>User Interface Elements - How to Use Each One > Creating and Sending Contribution Templates

Interestingly, it's in Flare Help and not Contributor Help.

Here's the text:
Creating and Sending Contribution TemplatesIn order to accommodate and assist the contribution process, you can create contribution templates for other individuals to use. These templates are topic files that can be crafted to already have certain pieces in place (e.g., text, formatting, locked regions) and make certain ancillary files available (e.g., variables, condition tags, style sheets) to the contributor. After using the template to create a new document in MadCap Contributor, the contributor can send it to you, and you can then make the document part of your project. See About Topic Reviews and Contributions.

How to create and send contribution templates

1.Create a topic or open an existing one, and add any content that you want to be part of the ready-made template for contributors (e.g., text, images).
2.(Optional) If there are parts of the topic that you do not want contributors to modify, apply locks to those areas. See Locking Elements.
3.Select Tools>Contributions>Create Contribution Template.

The Create Contribution Template dialog opens.

4.In the first field, enter a name for the new template.

5.(Optional) Click and select a location to store a copy of the new template file, which uses an .mccot extension. In the dialog, provide a name for the new template and click Open.

The default location is My Documents/My Contribution Templates. This is the location used if you do not select one.

Note: In Windows 7 and Vista, the folder is called "Documents" instead of "My Documents."

6.If you want to immediately send the new template to a contributor, make sure there is a check mark in the E-mail template when created field. After you finish creating the template, a new email message will automatically be created with the template file attached.
7.The sections at the bottom of the dialog display any variable sets, condition tag sets, table style sheets, and images in your project. By default, check marks are placed next to each file (except images), meaning they will automatically be included in the template. If you do not want to include a particular file with the template, remove the check mark. If you want to add an image to the template, click in the check box next to it.
8.Click Create.

The contribution template is created. If you selected to email the template as well, a new email message opens with the file attached.

9.Send the email.
Note: You can also quickly email contribution templates that you have already created. See Sending Contribution Templates.
Hope this helps.

Rekha.
LindaW
Propeller Head

Re: Getting Started with Contributor

Post by LindaW »

Thanks Rehka - that is exactly what I was looking for! I hadn't thought to look in the Flare Help <:
- so far I'm only used Contributor for reviews, but now I'll try these instructions for Contributions.
Thanks!
Linda