Bug with True Type Fonts in Flare 6?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Bug with True Type Fonts in Flare 6?

Post by dtmenges »

I'm trying to generate a PDF with Flare 6. For some reason it won't convert Zaph Humanist for the PDF. It works okay in Version 5. Is this a bug or did I miss a new setting.

Its a little annoying as I already had to move from Optima to Zaph Humanist because it is the closest TT font I had.
Tutivillus
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Bug with True Type Fonts in Flare 6?

Post by Tutivillus »

A similar problem here too. I've got a font we purchased (Corpid) and it does not show at all in the font select drop downs. Is there a problem with fonts in Flare 6?
---
Words, words, everywhere there's words!
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

If its Adobe OpenType it won't.

If its Microsoft OpenType, it will.

If its True Type it usually should.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You can try typing in the font name, sometimes Flare picks up on that even when it is not in the list. Worth a try.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Resolved: Bug with True Type Fonts in Flare 6?

Post by dtmenges »

After working with Madcap's support team, this turned out to be Adobe Type Manager Delux or at least the version that I was running. I loaded the free ATM and the fonts work without a problem. Why fonts stopped working between versions is unknown. It could have been my version of ATM Delux but I'm not curious enough to reload it to find out.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Just an update (almost related ) on this...

It looks like the lack of support for full OpenType fonts was due to GDI and GDI+ rendering engines provided by Windows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectWrite
If the new DirectWrite and Direct 2D which are natively included on Windows 7 becomes more popular, I am guessing you'll be seeing Open Type support although there is a catch....
Windows XP won't be supported.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to use Frutiger 67 Bold Condensed font for the front covers of our manuals. When I attempt to generate the PDF output, the Build dialog displays the following error: "Failed to convert to PDF font: Frutiger LT COM 67 Bold Cn. Using default font: Helvetica." Frutiger is a true-type font, so it should be supported in Flare. Within the Acrobat Distiller settings, I have set the font settings to embed all fonts, hoping that might solve it, but no luck. I also upgraded to Acrobat 9.2, but I'm still having the problem.
Kellie
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

According to Flare tech support regarding the error for the Frutiger font, this is due to a bug in the .NET Framework 2.0. This bug has been fixed in .NET 3.0 but Flare hasn't migrated to it yet.
Kellie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

techwriter31 wrote:This bug has been fixed in .NET 3.0 but Flare hasn't migrated to it yet.
Yes, it has. Version 6 requires .NET 3.5. I think Flare v5 required .NET 3 or maybe 3.5. Flare v4 probably required .NET 3.0. Flare v2 and 3 were probably .NET 2.0 and Flare v1 was .NET 1.1 or 2.0.

What version of Flare are you using?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I'm using Flare 6.0. The tech support person said that they won't migrate to .NET Framework 3.0 until Flare 8.0...?
Kellie
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That is probably the release after Windows 2000 is absolutely EOL by Microsoft counts.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

techwriter31 wrote:The tech support person said that they won't migrate to .NET Framework 3.0 until Flare 8.0...?
Apparently that tech support person hasn't read their own KB article --> http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#IAR1001F

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I followed up with tech support about this, and they said that although the bulk of the code base still uses the .NET Framework version 2.0, they've been moving incrementally toward newer versions for certain features in order to take advantage of the expanded functionality of the newer versions of .NET and also to avoid having to make the switch all at once.
Kellie
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Good to hear!
Its possible that there are more rendering and graphics tweaks that have been enhanced in .NET Framework 3.5 and up.

It looks like .NET Framework 4.0 will be coming out soon.
But I think .NET Framework 4.0 is primarily a major release focused on getting a more stable, better performing version of Windows Presentation Foundation with particular emphasis on graphics and the UI.
heal
Propeller Head

Post by heal »

Well, then this still doesn't work for Flare 7.1... See my topic http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 362#p79362