Using Title page layout gives me blank page ahead of title

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
strummer
Jr. Propeller Head

Using Title page layout gives me blank page ahead of title

Post by strummer »

I'm trying to generate a PDF with no header on the title page. I created a title page topic, and a page in the page layout of type Title. In the toc, for the title page topic, I enabled the chapter break and select Title as the Page Type. When I generated the PDF, I get a blank page with the Title page layout, followed by the title page topic with the Normal page layout. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've disabled the "Auto-end on left page" option but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Using Title page layout gives me blank page ahead of title

Post by LTinker68 »

In the page layout, in the title page's Properties screen, do both the Name and Type fields say Title?

Also, did you double-check that your title topic isn't using a style or inline style that is forcing a blank page? And you verified that you do have a body frame on the Title page in the page layout?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
strummer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by strummer »

Lisa,

You're a genius! There was no body frame on the title page layout. Now everything works as expected. You are good. Thanks so much.

Steve.
jbarwick
Propeller Head

Post by jbarwick »

I have a PDF output that is showing the Title page from the selected Page Layout in the "title" page type, and normal pages n the "normal" page type.

Works perfect...

However....

The Word Target shows the FrontPageMatter, but it is in the "Normal" layout, not the expected "Title" page type. It is using the expected layout because the page has the header/footer reserved for the "normal" page.

In the layout (flpgl file) the "Title" page has a few decoration frames and a body frame (no header/footer).

Both the PDF and and Word outputs use the same TOC, Master Page Layout, Master Stylesheet (target level). Advance Tab: Master Page is "default". Print target Medium is "print", Word Target has checked "Disable Master Pages for MS Word Output"

In the TOC, the first TOC entry is called FrontPage, and the "Printed Output" tab has "checked 'start new chapter document'" Configure page layout "default" Page Type "Title" Auto-end on 'left page' "Disabled" Page Number Reset to Page 1 type (a,b,c).

The second entry of the TOC is "contents" which has a contents proxy, with the "Printed Output" tab of "checked 'start new chapter document'" Configure page layout "default" Page Type "Normal" Auto-end on 'left page' "Enabled" Page Number Reset to Page 1 type (i,ii,iii).

The third entry of the TOC is "chapter 1" which has the document information with the "Printed Output" tab of "checked 'start new chapter document'" Configure page layout "default" Page Type "Normal" Auto-end on 'left page' "Enabled" Page Number Reset to Page 1 type (1,2,3).

In no way can I get the first page of the Word document using the Title page of the Layout.

By the way....when I inserted the system variable "Chapter Number" into my topic text, I got a "no variable defined"....odd..

Flare 7.2.0

Thoughts?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

jbarwick wrote:In no way can I get the first page of the Word document using the Title page of the Layout.
This is a Word problem because i get the same thing. I just make word docs for editing and make PDFs for final (because it works in PDF).
jbarwick
Propeller Head

Post by jbarwick »

lacastle wrote: This is a Word problem because i get the same thing. I just make word docs for editing and make PDFs for final (because it works in PDF).
lacastle,

thanks. Appears you are having the same problem. Perhaps MadCap will address this. I have even tried, "begin a new section". That doesn't work.

I will try something different now...I will use a "different" Layout flpgl file with only the title page and set it to the Master Layout for this TOC entry...perhaps that will force it to use the title page. If that doesn't work, I will make the "Title" page a "Normal" page in this new layout...now THAT should do it..

A lot of work for something that "should work"
jbarwick
Propeller Head

Post by jbarwick »

I even tried using the page type "First" instead of "Title". Same result.

But...with a hack...

Sort of have it working

TOC
-- TitlePage
-- Other Matter
-- Contents
-- Chapter 1

TitlePage - PageLayoutTP.flpgl - NORMAL page
OtherMatter - PageLayoutOM.flpgl - NORMAL page
Contents - PageLayoutA4.flpgl - NORMAL page

In the page layouts...the only Page Type is "normal" and "empty" ... This are the ONLY page types that seem to be output in a Word target.

Now..the only problem is that NONE of the DECORATION FRAMES are output in the Word document. Only the topic text body/header/footer

As we all said, PDF works fine.

By the way, Word targets MUST work for this software (Flare) to be adopted by the company that just purchased us. I am in the process now of trying to convince them to use Flare and I have to convert all of my last 10 years worth of Flare documents into Word so they can upload to their DMS (my new DMS). 1000 documents...not going to be fun if Word targets don't work.

Anyone know any software to convert a PDF to Word? Perhaps I'll give that a try.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

jbarwick wrote:...
Anyone know any software to convert a PDF to Word? Perhaps I'll give that a try.
The full acrobat app lets you save as RTF which will come into word OK. Ideally, though, the Word target needs to be fixed (I still have outstanding style issues).
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
ChiltonWS
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ChiltonWS »

Looks like this is till an issue over 2 years after it was first discussed below. At least I know I'm not crazy now.

Spent 2 hrs tonight trying to get a title page to appear in Word Output with no success.

Followed this excellent article and figured I could do the same with Word.
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/2012 ... df-output/

I need to be able to output to Word. When will this be fixed?